Rampant Anubia Barteri

tarkessa

Hi All,

I have an enormous Anubia Barteri that is taking over my 3 foot tank. At the beginning of the year I transferred my plants and fish from my two foot tank to my new 3 foot tank (dimensions 90 x 42 x 70cm 190L with 1000lph cannister filter).

Neither tank has CO2 or fertiliser but this plant just keeps expanding up and out. It now takes up one third of my 3 foot tank and the leaves are poking out of the water! The two foot tank was established for approximately 5 years before I transferred everything to the 3 foot. I have just started adding fertiliser to the 3 foot tank (last week) but am concerned about the Anubia. How do I keep this plant under control? How ruthless can I be in pruning it?

I would like to finish setting up the tank as fully planted tank but I can't aquascape with this giant in the way. I also have an algae problem with the plants in this tank at the moment. The other plants are 3 narrow leaf Amazon swords (1 well, 2 not so well), 1 bunch of melting Hygrophila polysperma, a miniature Anubia that is doing well (no algae) and some Java moss that is trying to colonise my substrate and driftwood (and doing a good job of it!). My 3 angels (all males unfortunately - they fight constantly) love the Anubia as they can hide around the side and back of it. Oh, I also have 2 blue cochus tetra, 3 kuhli loaches and a monster chinese algae eater approximately 15cm. This algae eater was sold to me when I first entered the tropical fish world to clean up the algae and is the only fish that I think would survive a nuclear holocaust!

Suggestions for the Anubia monster? Suggestions for other plants?

Thanks!

When I harvest mine I mainly cut off any part of the stem that has roots. Then with the cuttings I plant them else where. Its a great plant. You can cut off heaps of leaves. Good thing about it is, if you dont want it, take it out. Id doesnt leave seeds or runners that grow.

Adam

Thanks for the suggestions. I will pull it out and chop it up this coming weekend!

Cheers.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will pull it out and chop it up this coming weekend!

Cheers.

I am happy to buy some off you if you can put it in a bag and post it to me.

Drop me a pm if interested.

David

Hi toufic, foai,

I am happy to do this. Just let me see how many bits I can divide it into. I am not too far from Annandale so I can probably drop it off if you like. I'll PM you both on Saturday about what I have available.

Cheers,

Nicole

Nicole if you applied for access to the classifieds forum you could sell little bits to people all over the country ;)

Archived