L. Occellatus

mr troph

I've kept pairs in 2ft tanks - with a tank this size I'd be leery as they can get pretty violent at times. IMO you would need to have LOTS of hiding places and keep a close eye on it, and be prepared to go up a size if trouble is imminent. Multis would be a safer choice for a small tank like this.

Definately one pair only. I agree with Fiona, N. multifasciatus is a better choice.

Just on a minor taxonomic point. The species part of the name always has a small letter ie: L. Ocellatus is wrong, L. ocellatus is correct. It's semantic - but it hurts my brain to see it written as the former. I think the genus in this case is "Lamprologus" not Neolamprologus - but the fish will no doubt be moved out of "Lamprologus" in the future anyway (thus the "'s).

Hope that makes sense.

A 35cm tank is simply too small. It will be fine while they are getting on, but when and if they have a falling out (and it is more a case of when), the female will be killed. You need a tank size of at least 3', and then you need to keep all the shells in one of the back corners so the female can have at least three foot to escape the male.

Craig

I am in 100% agreement with Craig over this!

I tried keeping a tried and true pair of golds in a 2x18 when I had them. I tried dither fish, rock piles, more shells, less shells, removing the male to let the female recover and none of it worked!

The only thing that worked was rereleaseing them back into the 4' that they came out of.

In my experience a long tank is better than a short one "with a big foot print" because at the end of the day the furthest point the female can get from the male still isn't as far as with the long tank.

As rod said, he's got an 18" tank with 2 fish in it and the female gets bashed whenever he removes the fry. No offence Rod but there's a high possibilty that you will find the female dead one day.

Mick.

No offence Rod but there's a high possibilty that you will find the female dead one day.

No offence taken Mick....perhaps I will find the female dead one day...that's a risk I'm prepared to take....but I've got about 60 juvies to take her place. Whilst I've had juvies die (I don't know for sure that they were killed by siblings but it's a resonable assumption) I'm yet to lose an adult fish.

I've got 3 pair...each in 18 inch tanks...only had a problem with one pair when I removed ALL the fry,not just the oldest batch..... they eventually sorted out their differences with a little Help from me and they are now nursing the latest batch of 20+(see photos under shellies in photo page)still in their 18 incher!

I'm prepared to take the risk and keep them in a small tank and keep a close eye on them....but no doubt it is less risky(for the female) to keep them in a 3 foot+ tank...

No worries....If I had to house them in 4 ft tanks I'd be giving them the flick and going back to killies and Apisto's.

:thumb

Archived