C. afra 'Chewere'

roskam3001

Hi all,

I recently acquired an adult colony of 4 chewere and was led to believe that the ratio was 1m and 3f. The male is around 15cm and the other three are around the 10cm mark.

I have noticed that one of the three 'females' is colouring up like the male when it's in the vicinty of the other two females but quickly returns to its drab blue colour when the big male is nearby. My question is - Do female chewere's take on the same colouration as the males or is it more likely that that I have 2 of each sex in my colony. Is there any other way to tell the sex of these fish?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Neil

I guess that from the lack of response this was a tough question. Nevermind, because within an hour of me doing a water change on the weekend, the female which was colouring up was laying eggs on a piece of slate and then chasing the male around to get them fertilised. Amazing to watch as most of the fish which have spawned for me have done so at night.

So for those who might be interested, i can assure you that female C. Afra Chewere's take on the same colouration as the males, although not as regularly.

Hi Neil -

Some of my female Ps. elongatus "Likoma Isalands" used to colour up in a very male like fashion. I've seen it in Ps. saulosi and Maylandia lombardoi also. So it's not uncommon.

Just on a minor taxonomic point. The species part of the name always has a small letter ie: C. Afra is wrong, C. afra is correct. It's semantic - but it hurts by brain to see it written as the former.

Neil,

As mentioned by Yew, they do tend to that if they are brooding eggs or they are not interested in breeding ATM. At the moment one of c afra "cobwe" females looks like a sub-dominant male (ie grey with a yellow cap), but she has a mouthful. My Saulosi girls did the same thing they barred up like a subdominant male when they were holding eggs or just after they had bred. I have heard that they do this to put off the males from trying to breed with them again but that is heresay :thumb

cheers

rosco

edit sorry I was talking about my C afra "cobwe" to illustrate a point I don't have chewere :B

It's semantic - but it hurts by brain to see it written as the former.

It hurts mine when people don't check their posts before submitting them :lol2:

Hi YeW,

Thanks for the correction. :B

Still on the C. afra 'Chewere' - Are they uncommon in the hobby in Australia. Seaches on the forum don't show too many hits, and certainly not as many as the C. afra 'Cobue'. My regular site for fish information (cichlid-forum.com) advises that the chewere will max out at 3" and that generally the afra's are a dwarf species. My male is up around the 5" mark!

IMO they are a fantastic looking fish with a lot of character in their faces, probably due to them being unicuspid.

Are there any other forum members out there who are keeping chewere's at the moment? I'd be interested in comparing your experiences with them.

Cheers

Neil

my girlfriend is currently housing 5 juvenile cheweres in one of my tanks. The guy i got them from had a breeding colony. The one thing i noticed is that even though they are 5-6cm, they often seem to have 20cm strangs of fish crap following them around and since no other fish i have does this to that extent i find it rather amusing.

Archived