Do frontosa like flow in the tank

schoondy

Hi there Just wondering how your tank regarding outflow of water from pump should be set up regarding breeding Frontosa ???

I have my flow going in such a way that it creates a lot of flow in the tank.

but then I started to think that when your trying to breed these fish the excess WATER flow might blow the males sperm away from the eggs ??? and there by not fertilising them

Is the anybody out here that can explain what the best set up would be regarding this matter..........cheers

I

Hi there thanks for the info ill definatly will ripp out the underground filter (well take off power head thats connected to it ) and atach a foam filter to the power head.

would like to post a picture so you can see for your self but dont know how to do it yet will have to learn

Also is it posible to feed frontosa saltwater yabbies ( you know the ones you catch with a yabbie pump )

And im also thinking of breeding guppies for them to feed as feeder fish is this adviceable aslong as the guppies are free of parisites and could this become a staple form of diet ?? or better of sticking with pellets and flakes although they dont seem to eat much of the flakes ??

look forward to any advice given ................................cheers

Also is it posible to feed frontosa saltwater yabbies ( you know the ones you catch with a yabbie pump )

And im also thinking of breeding guppies for them to feed as feeder fish is this adviceable aslong as the guppies are free of parisites and could this become a staple form of diet ??

No & No ... :no: ..

I would definantly not feed them live yabbies ... i wouldnt even think of it ..

And there is no need to feed them live guppies ... ;) .. go buy yourself some NLS pellets, a good quality spirulina flake and some mysis shrimp ... only feed them every second day ...

flakes although they dont seem to eat much of the flakes ??

Try not feeding them for 2 days and they should be more willing to eat more flakes .. :) .. also they will take up too 4 weeks to settle in .... ;) .. mine took about two months before they started to feel comfortable with me wacthing them feed and swim ...

Just on that note regarding the NLS pellets - which NLS pellets do you recommend? The % of protein does vary 34, 38 and 50% on the different types NLS has to offer. The NLS I feed my fronties (3x per day) is 34% they are large and gulp the pellets up - I also cut up frozen raw prawns for them to eat.

I have 3 clown loaches and 5 or 6 mollies in the 6ft tank with 5 fronties.

I have not read that you should only feed them every 2nd day before - what is the rationale for this?

Cheers

Sean

Just on that note regarding the NLS pellets - which NLS pellets do you recommend? The % of protein does vary 34, 38 and 50% on the different types NLS has to offer. The NLS I feed my fronties (3x per day) is 34% they are large and gulp the pellets up - I also cut up frozen raw prawns for them to eat.

I have not read that you should only feed them every 2nd day before - what is the rationale for this?

Cheers

Sean

It depends on how active your frontosas are ...

I fed mine every second day as otherwise they would only eat tiny bits of the food if feed twice a day .... Usually the reason is because they are less active fish , and have slower digestive system them say mbuna ...

I find they also eat more of the food if feed once every second day, therefoore they reach breeding condition faster then normally ...

This is just from what ive read and from experiance though ...what works for me might not work for you ...

I raised by frontosa quite nicely on a range of pelleted foods (HBH, Orca etc). They grew quickly and were in nice condition. Dont feed live foods to frontosa - it's not necessary and you risk your fish by doing so.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers

Sean

Hi seanus

I feed my Frontosa [including my WCs] on the NLS Thera A Formula + NLS Large Fish Formula.

My feeding program does include days that I do not feed them at all, the rationale behind this is simple:

I find this has 3 main advantages

1st it allows the fish to clean out it's digestive tract

2nd it ensures that the food they receive is eaten and not merely mouthed and left in the bottom of the tank. I find the NLS range of foods to be excellent as they tend to stay firm in the tank and break down occurs at a lot slower rate than most available pellet foods.

3rd Because the pellets maintain body and can be removed if needed, it lessens the impact on the overall parameters of the tank water and therefore lessen the maintenance needed to keep the fish happy and healthy.

I also feed a frozen food diet in conjunction with the pellets especially when brining the females to the spawning condition stage.

I have also used orca in the past but find that if left uneaten these tended to break down rapidly and foul the tank water.

My feeding program works well for me and it was one of the major factors in my being able to produce the first F1 Tanzanite Frontosa fry a while back, since then my colony spawns on a regular basis and all the fry are in excellent condition as I start them on NLS Growth ASAP and develop their feeding from that point onwards. [such is my beleif in NLS that I even go to the trouble of grinding NLS Growth pellets so as to be able to commence the fry on it as soon as they are able to take in solid foods]

Hope this helps

Cheers

Frony05

Archived