IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Labeotropheus fuelleborni

IPB Image

IPB Image

And one more.....for now!

IPB Image

Matty, are those top shots uncropped or 100% crops? My understanding is that the EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro USM is a 1:1 macro and these look really close for a 1:1 lol That 60mm is a really sweet lens :) Those fish shots are very nice and sharp. Now you want to get yourself a nice big flash, like a sigma super 500 DG or a canon 580EX, a smaller 430EX, and an ST-E2 and you'll be set ;)

Getting into macro cheaply...

For those that want to get into the macro scene there are a number of alternatives for you to consider (none of which is as good as getting the 60mm macro or 100mm macro IMO but pretty good none-the-less) that cost very little.

1. Diopters: I took this image (uncropped) with my 50mm prime with a diopter on it. You can still control your DOF with it (Matty, take the 1st shot again but use manual mode at f12-22 @ 1/200th with the flash instead of at f7.1 (if the 350D has FEC bump it up a few notches too) and see how that improves your DOF), and you can get pretty close. You have to be pretty close for good macros which is the main advantage of the dedicated prime macros (you can focus from further away). But at $80 for the 50mm prime and about $30-40 for the diopter you can't really complain. All the normal lens functions still work with this setup though a shallow DOF is the nature of the macro beast. You can pick diopters up relatively cheaply from camera shops or from Ebay.

IPB Image

2. Reverse mounted lenses: Reverse mount macros are really hard to use but you can get crazy close. A reverse mount is like a filter that has a lens mount on one side and a filter thread on the other. You screw the lens onto the filter thread and then attach the lens mount to the camera so the lens is facing backwards. You have to focus manually and do so by moving the camera backwards or forwards and you lose all your electronic functions of the lens and the DOF is paper thin (in the pic below, the in-focus part is the edge of a one dollar coin. The recessed bit of the coin is out of focus!!! That makes my DOF about 0.2-0.3mm !!!) but in the right circumstances it works well. I took the following shot tonight with a reverse mounted 18-55mm kit lens. It is uncropped to show just how crazy close you can get. The kit lens was set to 18mm to get closer and I was about 1cm from the coin. Forget chasing fish around with this setup lol. The reverse mount attachment is also shown below. I picked it up on Ebay for about $20.

IPB Image

IPB Image

:)

Archived