My Black occies have spawned

rosco

Hi all,

after a lot of growing and a couple of losses my last 2 remaining Black occies appear to be a pair as last night I found half a dozen fry swimming around. I have started up the brine shrimp production is there anything else I should do? The pair are in a 2x18x18 by themselves so there are no other predators.

cheers

rosco

Baby brine all the way mate, well done on the spawn! I had to laugh tho, "my black occies appear to be a pair"....REALLY? Anyway, one point: A 2X18 is a large volume of water and it can be difficult to to get the bbs to the fry, I suggest that you use a 'turkey baster' to squirt the brine at the shell they are occuping, and even turn off your filter while feeding. You'll find that you use less and you will decrease the amount of food that is just left swirling around, rotting, and contributing to ammonia levels and what not in your tank. Good luck! :thumb

good news!, sure is great when they finaly 'click'

don't fuss to much about feeding these guys, in couple of days they will chase bbs all around the tank.

[supprising how long bbs last in fesh water] alternate with the usual flake food as well.

after about a week the fry should transfer to the male's shell. all should be good for a couple of more weeks.

being a young pr, just keep an eye on parents, they can be feral. when they're ready to spawn wgain they WILL remove all threats in the tank

may the fish gods smile upon you.

being a young pr, just keep an eye on parents, they can be feral. when they're ready to spawn wgain they WILL remove all threats in the tank

may the fish gods smile upon you.

I think it varies from pair to pair as my pair have bred 3 times now and i have successfully raised the previous generations in the tank along with the parents, I only recently took all the fry out which i now think was a bad move as they havent bred in a month compared to the monthly basis they used to breed and also the male is attacking the female ALOT now.

cheers; Richard

My golds always whacked the previous generation. Lucky you that your occies didn't ... although I adored them, the violence along with the very regular breeding meant that they were pretty high maintenance.

I miss my l gold occies :cryblow: 1 mae and 3 or 4 females all spawning all the time...

It was a seriou blow when I sold them then found out that they'd all died within a week or two of being introdued to their new tank.

Out of all the fish I have had I regret selling them the most...

Mick

Thanks all.

They are taking flake quite readily but the BBS are ready tonight. They are bigger than I thought they would be at such a young age. My J. Transcriptus "gombe is" are half the size they are when they start moving around so these guys could be a week or 2 old already as I was not looking for them :dntknw: .

when they're ready to spawn again they WILL remove all threats in the tank

They already have Colin. The solitary Bn was dead this morning, I guess he got in the way. :lol3:.

I had to laugh tho, "my black occies appear to be a pair"....REALLY?

That was the idea ;) . I learnt my birds and bees lesson too late (after my personal) second spawn , oh that what causes it :dntknw::lol4:

I will keep you posted

cheers

rosco

hey congrats on the spawn rosco! any pics of the proud parents?

Not as yet but I countd 6 bubs last this morning so touch wood all is going well. I also saw the male chasing the female into a shell and trying to get in as well. She is nicely coloured up at them moment and is not really moving far from her shell so I hope there are more on the way :thumb .

cheers

rosco

The fry also appreciate microworms. Easier to deal with than BBS IMHO and just as good nutritionally. I'd also recommend a milled (in a pepper mill) pelleted food of your choice.

I have tried both microworms and newly hatched bbs. I think the latter is the most easiest to cultivate and use! :yes: Chris is right in terms of getting the bbs to the fry. Just use a small dropper or a small syringe. Get it from the chemist in the baby section! :roll

Cheers

I have tried both microworms and newly hatched bbs. I think the latter is the most easiest to cultivate and use! Chris is right in terms of getting the bbs to the fry. Just use a small dropper or a small syringe. Get it from the chemist in the baby section!

Cheers

Cheers guys I have tried to cultivate micro worms several times and it just never seemed to work for me. In saying that, when I did get a good culture going the fry (and parents) loved it :thumb. Even if my nose could not :lol3: . BBS is easy for ATM as I just fire it up in fishroom and after some experimentation I seem to be getting a great hatch rate. Since feeding my J Transciptus "gombe" fry bbs their growth rates seem to me certainly improved. I have these guys in an air driven tank and the BBS (and finely crushed flake) are getting to the bottom of the tank and eaten quite readily by both fry and parents. If I can get my hands on another culture I will give it another go. I am keeping a very close eye on them :thumb . If some heads appear out of the girls shell I will use an eye dropper as distribution system.

cheers

rosco

Archived