Tang Tank Concept

Rod54

Nicely conceived setup. My only comment is in respect of the lights you would use.

Most of the tangs I have had hate light. That includes cyprochromis, foai, B tricoti and O Boops etc. If you have strong light expect your fish to huddle under a rock if possible. I don't know much about vapour lights but if they are a very low intensity light that would be ideal.

Also make sure your water is crystal clear from the planter box - tangs hate spikes (up or down) in pH.

Hope that helps a little.

David

Ive notice that the lights wash out colour in the cyps, foai etc?

what tubes do you use?? Ive been looking for ages but cant find a decent flouro tube.

Oh and that concept looks good, would be interesting to see the final product.

:thumbup: Good luck

I've got a crazy idea!

mount a spotlight (mercury vapor, hallide, whatever) on the wall over the planter box so it shines into the tank on an angle, leaving a shaded area under the "waterfall" type return (assuming that's what you're doing with the planter box, plant filtration).

Would be like the sun mid morning or mid arvo kinda thing, being on an angle you could use one higer powered light to do the whole tank, yet still leave less bright spots for the fish. plus the ripples in the light would be fantastic with only one light (I think anyway)

I've got a crazy idea!

mount a spotlight (mercury vapor, hallide, whatever) on the wall over the planter box so it shines into the tank on an angle, leaving a shaded area under the "waterfall" type return (assuming that's what you're doing with the planter box, plant filtration).

Would be like the sun mid morning or mid arvo kinda thing, being on an angle you could use one higer powered light to do the whole tank, yet still leave less bright spots for the fish. plus the ripples in the light would be fantastic with only one light (I think anyway)

Thanks for the feedback

I like the idea of the light over the Planter box Ash!

Also thinking I might use half a dozen low voltage

Dichroic lights....on three separate circuits to enable a variation in light intensity.

I'd use low power metal halide. It's much more efficient. I am using 70W MH for all my tanks now. With only 70W and a remote ballast you end up with very little extra heat and you get the sparkle of a compact light source. Halogen lamps looks nice but they don't actually put out a huge amount of light for the power they use. (If you do use halogen make sure you get the Nelson 'Silvered' ones. They run *way* cooler for are way brigher for the same power as the open top ones. I had a small light on a box that melted the plastic box above it. When I switched to the Nelson Slivered globe the plastic box is hardly hot.

Mercury vapour has a funny colour spectrum. I think the main reason for them is the efficiency (which is only beat by low pressure sodium, except thir colour is horrible) and the bulbs last a hell of a long time.

Archived