clowns&whitespot

hutch

hi all,

looking for some help!

i have recently placed 7 /2.5inch clown loaches in one of my african set ups.

and now have noticed,some white spots on a couple of there tails/fins.

all the other inhabitants seem fine?.7/rusty cichlids,4/young johanni,2/young female electric blues and 3/synodontis shoutedeni.except for the ocasional scratch/rub.???

i have on hand/aquasonic ichonex but have never used it on loaches or sydonis before.

has anyone ,any info.or shed some light on the subject.(please)

i have also heard of a salt treatment,would this be any better/if so how much per lilre. ect(info,please)

i've been pretty lucky in the past with disease,as such and i have never owned any loaches before,i have heard that they are highly succeptable(prone) to this ailment.

i am just a bit weary/nervous to use chemicals around scaleless fish.

cheers

any help would be greatly appreciated!

neil

Usually when you medicate loaches, you would use half the recommended dosage unless the medication is specifically for them.

What size tank are we talking about here?

In my 6x2x2, I chuck in around 3 or 4 handfuls when I do water changes as a precaution, and Ive never had white spot in there. :thumbup:

You can also increase the temperature to 30+. Maybe 32degrees. White spot cant survive at temperatures above 30.

When you using salt, you would also increase the temperature and do 1/4 to 1/3 water changes every 2 or 3 days.

Deal with it now before it gets worse, and perhaps look at getting a quartine tank to house the fish in before you add them to your main tank etc....

Good luck.

thanks for that,toufic.

i recon the ph change may have stressed them and set it off.

the tank in question is a 200 ltr corner unit.

should i medicate at half rate and add salt(quantity)+raise temp.

cheers

neil

I am not familiar with aquasonic ichonex. Does it mention anything about loaches on the label? If not, adher to the side of caution and go half dosage.

1) Do a water change and make sure you gravel vac the gravel.

2) Increase temperature to 32deg.

3) For 200L, put in a couple of handfuls of salt.

4) Medicate. Read the instructions on the bottle.

I've only only ever had to deal with white spot in a 2foot tank. lol... And doing that worked for me. Minus the medication bit.

cheers,ive turned up the heat.and put in the salt(rung a adelaide fish store ) i frequent occasionally,lol.

he sugested 10 gms sea salt to 10 ltrs .(a heaped tablespoon)approx.(sound about right.????)

and do a couple of water changes(approx 1/4 every 3 days)

sounds much like the info you gave me,cheers

thanks, toufic.

will see how it goes!

haven't medicated/hopefully its a mild strain and the salt may knock it.

will keep a close eye on it/always got the chemical for back-up.

havent had a disease problem for years!!!

bit rusty :lol3:

thanks again.

neil

• 3 weeks later...

In my 6x2x2, I chuck in around 3 or 4 handfuls when I do water changes as a precaution, and Ive never had white spot in there. :thumbup:

Pretty Newb question here, I've only had my setup for less than a month so still learning heaps. :B

When you put the salt in, you put it in the water that your about to put back in the tank right? Not straight in the tank itself? Casue that's what I've been doing with all my additives (ph buffer etc).

Thanks for any help!

-Garth

hi,garth mc.

yeh, i used ocean salt(being rock salt)i mixed it in a bucket with a little warm water until it disolved ,then adjusted the temp with the remaining water /added buffers and declorinator ect.

mixed again and dumped it in.?

just found it easier that way.

cheers

neil

hi,garth mc.

yeh, i used ocean salt(being rock salt)i mixed it in a bucket with a little warm water until it disolved ,then adjusted the temp with the remaining water /added buffers and declorinator ect.

mixed again and dumped it in.?

just found it easier that way.

cheers

neil

Cool, that's pretty much what I was doing except for adjusting the temp, I didin't even think of that. I'll do that next time I do a water change. :)

Thanks

-Garth

Archived