Is it posible to get 2 frontosa to spawn

schoondy

Hi there

I have the opertunity to buy a 4 ft Aquarium with 1 adult male Frontosa (6 bars) 25cm in length and 1 adult female Frontosa 20 cm in length for $200

I am thinking on buying them and am wondering seeing there is only 2 frontosa and not a coloney is it still posible for them to spawn by them selfs or do I need to buy some more adult females before they will spawn

If it is recomended to buy more adult female frontosa anybody know where I can get some ?

any information would be much apreciated

cheers

A standard 4 footer?

Its possible to have just a pair spawn. But if the female is not ready to spawn, the male might pick too much on her and possible kill her. Having more than female usually spreads out the aggression and off course increases your chances of a spawn. More females also means that you have fry more regularly.

I'm certainly no Fronnie expert but at a LFS here, there is a pair (about the same size) that breed constantly in a 6x2x2. So I would assume that you only need one male and one female.

Hi there

I have the opertunity to buy a 4 ft Aquarium with 1 adult male Frontosa (6 bars) 25cm in length and 1 adult female Frontosa 20 cm in length for $200

I am thinking on buying them and am wondering seeing there is only 2 frontosa and not a coloney is it still posible for them to spawn by them selfs or do I need to buy some more adult females before they will spawn

If it is recomended to buy more adult female frontosa anybody know where I can get some ?

any information would be much apreciated

cheers

In short , yes its possible ... But you have to think to yourself , is it good for the fish .. ?

Cyphos are harem breeders , meaning the males breed with several females ... I would not reccommend a colony to be any smaller then 1 male to 2 females ...

Ive heard many horror stories where the male will beat the female to death when she isnt in breeding conditions ... Yes if you had a pair in a 6x2x2 with other africans it would be more likely as the aggression would be spread out ..

But in a standard 4ft with a 1:1 ratio i have alot of doubts ... It would be best to buy the tank and the fish , then sell that tank and go and get yourself a 4x2x2 or even bigger (Bigger is better) .. Then find yourself another 2-3 females and you have yourself a nice little colony ...

Go to www.cyphos.com and ask them what they think - im telling you right now they will reccommend at least a 125g tank ... yes you can breed frontosas in a smaller tank but in the long it isnt any good for the fish ...

HTH

Also agree with above, Cyphos.com is the frontosa encyclopedia britanica.. A pair can spawn but will probably just be aggresive towards each other. Especially in a 4 foot. It has been done but a bigger tank would be recomended and at least 1 more female. If the pair has grown up together they may be fine. I know of a guy who had 4 frontosas breeding in a 3 foot??? My advice>> biggest tank you can afford and as many females as you can fit.

Cheers Couchy :raisehand:

To be honest , you can put as many caves as you like in that tank but the female will still be bullied ....

You really need a bigger tank as you cannot house anymore frontosas in there ... its cruel to keep such large fish in a standard 4ft ...

I reccommend you either get a larger tank asap , or sell your frontosas and go for something a little smaller ...

If you had a 125g or a tank of similar size , yes you could buy some smaller cyphos to add to your colony .. But in my opinion , if you were to add 3" fronts to a 4ft tank with a 10" adult male frontosa in there it just spells disaster ...

HTH and i apologise if i sound harsh .. but really you want the best for your fish and the best for frontosas is a large tank ...

Sam ...

Hi there

At the moment I cant see what all the fuss is about as these 2 frontosa of mine havent showed any signs of agrasion to each other except raise there fins ocaisionaly

they seem to get along fine with each other at the moment

The male has given here a nug here and there but nothing to worry about and as these are awsome fish and some people do claim to have sucsess breeding them in 4 ft tank I cant help but hold on to them frontosa and save up for a bigger tank asap (unless the female gets beat up but then ill split them up in seprate tanks ) for the time being ill house 2 frontosas in 220 liter tank by them selfs with canester filter that cycles 1500 liter of water per hour pluss under ground with power head atached also 1500 liters per hour ph is 7.3 but ill try and get that harder by geting more coral and temp is set at 26 decrease

Its the best I can do for these 2 fish at the moment but they seem happy enough and maybe I might even fluke my first batch of baby frontosa

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there

At the moment I cant see what all the fuss is about as these 2 frontosa of mine havent showed any signs of agrasion to each other except raise there fins ocaisionaly

they seem to get along fine with each other at the moment

The male has given here a nug here and there but nothing to worry about and as these are awsome fish and some people do claim to have sucsess breeding them in 4 ft tank I cant help but hold on to them frontosa and save up for a bigger tank asap (unless the female gets beat up but then ill split them up in seprate tanks ) for the time being ill house 2 frontosas in 220 liter tank by them selfs with canester filter that cycles 1500 liter of water per hour pluss under ground with power head atached also 1500 liters per hour ph is 7.3 but ill try and get that harder by geting more coral and temp is set at 26 decrease

Its the best I can do for these 2 fish at the moment but they seem happy enough and maybe I might even fluke my first batch of baby frontosa

Cheers

Hi schoondy

Mate you can certainly hope for the best, but please be warned [by someone who has seen it] the males of all Cyphotilapia can be the most agressive of all the cichlids when the spawning mood takes the main focus of the fish. I have seen colonies where all is peaceful and no signs of drama one minute, and the next all hell broke lose. The final score frontosa sex none, females dead 2. This was in a 6x2x2 and a colony made up of 2 males and 4 females.

I guess you will just need to pay close attention to your Frontosa and be prepared to seperate them if the need arises.

As has already been mentioned, these are Harem fish and as such I would recomend a ratio of atleast 3 females to 1 alpha male. My view is that the bigger the tank you can house them in the better with a 6x2x2 being a prime size for a colony of 5 adult frontosa.

Anyway, good luck with them and I wish you luck with getting them to spawn.

Cheers

Frony05

There are some very valid points made in the replies you have already gotten, but I would like also say that they have gotten to a good size in the tank they are in and they do get along pretty well.

I would give it a shot and see what happens. Just keep your eyes open.

I also would think that if they were going to spawn they would have by now being the size they are already

Josh

Archived