Display quality caves?

fiona

I say go for some rocks siliconed in place to create caves rather than pipes, pots or ornaments for a display tank. Try some river rocks, flat side inwards and a longer flatter stone over the top or a pile of river rocks up into the back corner (if that makes any sense). obviously put them in place before the gravel if you have any diggers of you may end up with the dreaded "pancake fish".

dean

Keep me updated Andrea. :) I was just thinking of your work earlier, associated with this topic.

The problem I find with stacking rocks is that either it takes up a lot of space, or it looks very contrived. I need several "caves" in a footprint of 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 feet.

I'm planning on making the substrate dual level, lower at the front and more sandy, then higher behind some kind of natural looking barrier (a log?) and planted. And a few anubias and stuff on the lower level too, attached to things. Split level ... I'm a child of the 60s and 70s, what can I say?

I'm thinking I may be able to make breaks in the barrier by off-setting the logs or rocks or whatever, and create caves at the breaks, covered by the higher substrate. Hmm ... but would need more caves too. To just have that would be neither practical nor aesthetically pleasing.

Ok..Inspector Gadget is on the job. What colour range are you seeking? (bear in mind that raw colour is terracotta or stoneware...any variation will mean glazing).

Andrea :)

Prefer as natural looking as possible, colour to be in the "natural" range. I'm not specific about colour so long as it looks natural ... what colour is "stoneware"?

I was looking at maybe some of those plastic rocks from universal rocks, but I am thinking I'll go the waterwashed stone rather than the craggy sandstone ... I collected some really neat ones from roadworks on Windsor Road a couple of years back. Ligher colours and good shapes.

Or maybe I should save those rounded stones for the Lakes tank (Malawi or Tang whichever I end up going) - was looking at the biotope piccies on SCP the other day.

Aaaahhhh .....

hi fiona dont forget to post a pic up then when its all set up ,

cheers

Sarah

ps im hopeless at landscaping any tank so hence no suggestions from me, if you do want something natural looking for the back of the tank why not go for a universal background,i have some of their rocks and they are great ,

PVC pipe...you can cut holes in it, then file for smoothness etc...

roll it in aqua safe silicone?sp then into a tray of sand or substrate small rocks. may need a second coat of silicone & substrate.

just remember to allow it to fully cure before putting it into the tank.

these are great for under rock piles or towards the rear of the tank.

Hi Sarah, good to see you post.

I was thinking some PVC type stuff might be good buried and hidden ... I have a length of a PVC conduit protector that has a sort of rounded rectangle shape and snaps together along its length ... it's really cool ... I'll get a piccy.

Here are some of the rocks I was thinking about using to give an idea of colour range and shape and size ... and a couple of gratuitous extra pics for Andrea.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

My mum has acreage up at Arcadia and there is a good pile of very hard sandstone rocks there that were thrown up as part of an excavation many, many years ago - I am thinking I might go and have a fossick there, and decide from there whether to put the rounded ones in the CA tank or the Rift Lake tank.

I'm also waiting to see what Andrea comes up with, a cave that blends in well would be perfect.

U.S. those are very cool looking rocks. If I was going for a rock reef look something like that would be great.

What I'm going for is planted with some rocks, and I'm going to make a shallower substrate at the front with sand for the fish to sift through, and deeper substrate towards the rear for plants. The front section will have some anubias on stuff and things like that too, so not bare. And rocks/caves in various places ... maybe 4 or 5 small rock "piles" or something like that. As I'll have a few that like caves. But don't want to take up all the space with rocks as I want plants too. Kind of an underwater rock garden with also some driftwood, that's the look I'm after, and some happy fish.

The tank is 2 1/2 ft square and 2ft high and will be in a corner so the shelf from lower to higher will kind of bisect the tank diagonally, but not quite so precise ... I want it to look nice and more natural if possible. Being not a huge tank, the challenge is to make natural looking rock (and wood?) caves without filling the tank up with them.

Id add shots of my pussy but the sensors might get upset...

Andrea did you get a final report from Murdoch? I was sent one the other day and can e-mail it to you if you want?

Mike

:lol3: @ sensors!

No Mike, I haven't had anything from Murdoch and would really appreciate it. Still got an issue with her sister atm. If you're at the PCS auction tomorrow night, I can talk to you then. All they sent me was the bill :(

PS> Back on topic....Fiona, I am looking into matt glazing tomorrow. I have a few caves made in different styles. Hopefully I can help you :hug:

Fiona I picked up a fired cave today...will post a pic. probably tomorrow (gots heaps on today). I also enquired into some different clay that might give you a better colour and texture (different firing technique, which unfortunately means higher cost for me). Will keep you posted. I'll also include some pics. of some raw "breeding rocks" (unfired) to show you something else I am playing with. I have some glazes to play with on the unfired rocks, but it will be a few weeks till I have them fired for final assessment. Would I correct in assuming that you want smoothish looking, greyish coloured caves? BTW, no obligation to buy :) It's all good experience for me.

EDIT> pics. added

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

You have quite a range there. Will be interesting to see what you come up with

I've done the "hide PVC pipe" thing for now ... will post some pics.

"Different firing technique" - juxtaposed with cigarette lighter. :p

That avatar is pretty crazy.

Archived