Parrot Cichlids

bungholio

I know i will get replies saying they are not real cichlids, but really what are they like, are they as aggressive as red devils or not as aggressive, what can you keep with them, and are they dyed? just interested.. (im new to fish lol)

adam

You're a brave person mentioning hybrids in these parts...

Think about something else instead. So often they have deformed jaws and have trouble eating. Can't be a pleasant life for them.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Not dyed ?? Bahahahahahaha.......... tongue.gif

I got an email this morning containing a PPS file entitled "Best photos of 2003"

This pic was included. IMO it's quite stupid.........far from one of the best pics of 03.

user posted image

If by 'the red ones' you mean blood parrots, no - they are a result of selective breeding of the hybrid in the majority.

I have seen some highly coloured examples in JB (Jahore Bahru, Malysia) and Singapore that I would question. Even over there, the popularity of these fish is declining in favour of quality Africans.

There are also some quite disgusting mutant strains that have gained popularity for various reasons. eg no caudal fin, etc thus giving the body a 'heart' shape.

If you're keen on mutations etc, think goldfish. At least they're more the result of centuries of selective breeding rather than outright cash-driven hybridisation.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived