Texas spawn (and synspilum fry + others)

Ash

Caught my pair laying & snapped a few photos just as they were finishing. Have to get some more shots of this tank as the synspilum pair have free swimmers atm as well.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

hoplo cat

IPB Image

IPB Image

wider shot of tank

IPB Image

hope you enjoy

Ash

more shots of the same tank...

shot from the end of the 4x2 showing the synspilum pair with the female texas in the background

IPB Image

Daddy synspilum with fry

IPB Image

crazy pictus cats

IPB Image

synspilum fry swarming against a rock

IPB Image

BN & electric yellow fry in a frysaver

IPB Image

pictus do, hoplos don't.

there's no way I'd be able to raise & then sell/trade away 200+ fry so the pictus are there specifically to snack on the excess, the hoplos are there cause they're funky :8

It's really a display tank in the lounge & I thought the synspilum & texas would be a good colour contrast while being compatible agro wise - I didn't expect them to both breed constantly!

great pics mate, just wandering how big/old the synspillus are? cause i have only seen synspillus that colour once. its a shame that none of the fish down here in Melbourne have that vivid, striking colours.

at a guess the male is about 2.5-3yrs old & 25+cm long, the female is only about a year old & maybe 15cm?.

She actually came in a batch I ordered from Bayfish via a LFS, plain little grey fish 3-4cm long when I got them that really blossomed. She was the best of the girls of course, I already had the big nice boy so I traded in the excess.

I have 8 or so 4-5cm fry & a bunch of fresh freeswimmers growing out from the pair, not that it's worth shipping them of course.

Like this? please ignore the fry saver, I really don't have enough tanks :B

IPB Image

Oh, the silver streaks near the surface are the pictus, you can see a hoplo coming back down from taking a breath too. You can kind of see the size of the texas fry cloud, but the synspilum one doesn't show up - way less fish but they're 2-3 weeks old rather than 2-3 days

Archived