Painting a pine stand ?

Tunnel Rat

Hi people

Not much of a handy man so just thought I would ask a dumb question

I am just about to paint a 5ft pine stand black inside & out after I rub it back should I go and buy cans of black enamel spray paint & spray it on or a can of paint & brush it on ?

I am thinking spraying it on will have a better finish ? (cost a bit more)

Tell me I do not need a undercoat please :blink

any help would be great

thx

Rat

Spray = expensive, wasteful and alot of effort. I.e. not worth it.

Better off using a high quality acrylic and doing a few coats or for a really shiny finish, undercoating and using an enamel paint.

Alternatively, a black stain and then varnish.

If it's for display, separate stain and varnish. If it's not, the stain and varnish in one tin will give a decent finish. Simply apply with a brush and wipe off with a rag. Apply more coats every few hours until you get desired tint.

Stain looks much nicer than paint as it shows the grain of the timber. As you are after a black finish, paint might be the go, but if you are happy with a dark colour, I'd go stain.

With paint, as marauder said, undercoat is always recommended, but most good paints will go on ok regardless.

If it's for display, separate stain and varnish. If it's not, the stain and varnish in one tin will give a decent finish. Simply apply with a brush and wipe off with a rag. Apply more coats every few hours until you get desired tint.

Stain looks much nicer than paint as it shows the grain of the timber. As you are after a black finish, paint might be the go, but if you are happy with a dark colour, I'd go stain.

Thanks guys

I hate painting wish it was a small 2' stand not a 5'x2'

Its for display so I think I will go the stain then varnish can this be done all in one day or will I need to use the stain & varnish in the same tin ?

thx

Rat

ask the man in the paint store about 'black japan' before you buy anything

Colin tell me more

I was going to go down my local bunnings you know bunnings a ten year old kid would give me more advise than most of the flips that work there :dntknw:

thx

Rat

Just found out a bit about Black jap man four coats :shock:

I do not think I can stand that much work after one coat of BJ wait 12hr before second coat then 24hrs before sealant and then 24hrs before final top coat :B

Feast Watson site said

Once the surface is dry, approximately 24 hours, seal Black Japan with Feast Watson French Polish prior to applying a clear top coat to avoid bleeding of the black stain into the top coat. Allow 24 hours before applying the top coat. :shock::shock:

But bet it would look good when finished

Exactly, i would suggest u take the time and do it properly. Your tank will have much more "Wow" factor with a nicely done stand/cabinet. People will say how good the stand looks, and u can u tell them all u did it, and they will adorn u with compliments :B:B:B

plus it will be worth more if u ever go to sell it.

Definately do it properly, even though it takes longer.

Brad.

P.S- u think painting takes ages... imagine making stands with a maticulous ex cabinet maker (my Pop) who makes u do even the most meaningless unimportant thing to a precise measure, cant rush anything. That includes using no screws or anything of that nature when building things, everythign is dowel joints or better....god he is a patient person and oh so skilled.

P.S- u think painting takes ages... imagine making stands with a maticulous ex cabinet maker (my Pop) who makes u do even the most meaningless unimportant thing to a precise measure, cant rush anything. That includes using no screws or anything of that nature when building things, everythign is dowel joints or better....god he is a patient person and oh so skilled.

Thanks for all the advice guys

Brad hope you are taking note how your pop is making the stands good craftsman ship is hard to find.The sad thing is we are losing a lot of these guys and some of the old ways of making things are dying with them :(

cya

Rat

ps got a lot of work to do so bye for two days :shock:

Archived