tropheus and mainganos

hilly

hey graham,

You already put em in so whats the point of asking?

How they going by the way? Seemed alrite to start with.

Matt

I don't have experience with Mainganos so I'm wouldn't have a clue temperament wise.

Diet wise, with the intro of NLS shouldn't be an issue.

This decision shouldn't be made on diet alone though so I guess my post is useless lol.

Jamie.

Ill add some more to help out.

He has only two ornaments and the rest is sand. All the moliros seem to have taken the ship and left the tower alone. I reckon the mainganos will take the tower. They are all of comparable size and one of the female mainganos is holding. She was holding when he got her.

I personally wouldn't put them together as they are from different lakes, but I realise that that is a "puritan" standpoint.

Maingano are not all that aggressive, compared to a Tropheus. If an issue comes about it will most likely be when they are larger (Your Tropheus are still small). The colour and shape differences will probably mean they will not see each other as competitors.

If trouble does come about, put more places in there for fish to hide, in particular (something floating like agricultural piping too).

In short, they will probably be okay.

Their dietary requirements will be pretty much the same, and as mentioned above, with NLS a non-issue.

Craig

Good Morning,

I have had mbunas including mainganos and electric yellows and tropheops in with a colony of moliros. I have since split them as it was only really while they were growing up. All fish were of similar size, 2-4 centimeters to start and were moved when they were 5-7 centimeters long. No real inter fish fighting if anything a different fish often bumped into feuding fish reducing fighting. Still when I moved rocks around the moliros destroyed one of their brethren and the maingano males picked on the weakest link each time until I was left with one male and one female. So a loss of 4 fish of about 40 in a year. Save point may have been the tank was 6' * 2.5' * 2' .

Phillip

Archived