Julidochromis pairing up?

Richard

I have two julidochromis regani "kipili" at roughly 5-6cm. One is larger and has a more fatter body than the other. I recently placed them in their own standard 4fter with afew pots. Doing this i found that the larger one was alot mroe aggressive towards the smaller one, nipping at its fins alot, besides the nipping they pretty much hid in their own pots and kept to themselves. I then added in all my black occie fry and leptosoma fry along with a piece of lava rock. The julies have now called the rock home between each other and seem more like a "couple" now. I am not sure if they are now paired up or just sticking together because they are the same species. I've had pairs of julies in the past but bought them all paired up already. Has anyone actually had these fish pair up for them?

cheers; Richard

Richard,

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a slightly different situation relating to Julie's pairing up. I have 5 ornatus and 4 transcriptus (in different tanks of course) and was wondering what the signs will be when a pair start to bond :hug: . What size could I expect pairing to occur. Both species are in community tanks with plenty of rockwork.

Neil

Archived