Mbuna vs. Tropheus

fiona

Some of you know that I'm wrestling with whether or not to get some tropheus.

I'm not clear on why a tank full of tropheus would be better than a tank full of mbuna.

Both active, colourful, interesting dominance and mating displays.

I've only watched tropheus and not LIVED with them so I'm not intimate with them.

Are they REALLY more interesting/likeable/whatever, and if so, why?

C'mon, enlighten me!! Please!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without entering into the debate re: which is better (which seems highly subjective). I will say that I think a tank full of Tropheus has the potential to be a LOT more soul destroying.

Yes I agree that it's subjective. By soul destroying, you mean deaths, right? This is one of the reasons it's not an easy decision and I want to be sure before I take the plunge, if I do.

OTOH, perhaps it's really something I should look at AFTER my doctorate.

Hi Fiona, yes I mean deaths.

and... having written a thesis like the one you mention AFTER would be a good idea. In the meantime, a tank full of Msobo or something similar are much more "flexible" with regard to their water conditions :).

Agree with YeW.

I've done the tropheus thing twice now. Once with disastrous consequences, losing a $600 colony before they even grew enough to breed. :cryblow:

Plus a tank full of msobo would be much prettier than a tank full of the nicest tropheus (regardless of what the tropheus nuts say). :lol3:

The nicest tropheus (In my opinion) are the Kaiser II's. Even a tank full of those would pale compared to the same amount of msobo at a ration of 1m to 4f.

Just my opinion (steps behind tropheus-nutproof perspex sheet). ;)

Firstly, Tropheus are my favourite type of Cichlid, but I don't therefore feel everyone should think this way too. I understand there are many other wonderful types of fish to keep, so you don't need to hide behind the sheet from me :) .

I agree that it comes down to personal preference. I disagree with the deaths though. I think that if someone is seriously thinking about doing the Tropheus thing they know about doing the little things to keep them happy ie filtration, water changes and diet to name a few. If you do the little things right, I think these fish are not difficult. I don't think I've been lucky when I haven't had a single death from disease or aggression. I do understand though that sometimes people do all the little things right and still have problems, I think you could find these examples for all types of fishkeeping.

I think, deep down you already know if you want them or not. If you do I say go for it :thumb .

If you do decide to take the plunge, I would be happy to tell you what I do to keep these little guys happy :) .

Jamie.

I think that if someone is seriously thinking about doing the Tropheus thing they know about doing the little things to keep them happy ie filtration, water changes and diet to name a few.

I'm not convinced that this is THE answer as ViS would have to be one of the more conscientious fish keepers that I know.

Which is why I wrote the sentence underneath this statement. I'm not saying I know everything. My arguement is basically that I am not extensively knowledgeable at all, far from it, but I have been able to keep my guys very healthy. I think the others just had some bad luck. I don't think their experiences are the norm.

Jamie :).

Ps I'm only trying to help you.

My deaths came from a large bristlenose fry batch. The two big bristlies I had in their tank spawned and one morning I saw at least 50 bristlenose fry swimming about in amongst the rocks. The tropheus were going nuts picking them off. All babies were gone by the next morning, and within 2 days - 2 weeks, all Tropheus were dead.

They had been perfectly healthy and happy in a 4x2x2 for several months before that. I had the bristlenose in there because I had a metal halide light above their tank to encourage algae for them to graze on, and the bristlies were there to clean the algae off the glass.

They received excellent water conditions and plenty of fresh water. They were fed exclusively on good quality spirulina (which they had been raised on since birth).

None of the fish had been beaten. All became bloated and died every day or so for two weeks. I lost 20 in under 12 days.

Never again, just like I'll never buy directly imported fish again. Too much money down the toilet. Others can have those heartaches if they wish :(

PS. I'm not bitter, just smarter and less impulsive than I used to be :lol3:

That's no good Andy, that's terrible luck. I wasn't saying anything about your practice by the way, I know you are very knowledgeable :).

I guess I don't want people to think that Ts are destined to die. I have loved my experiences with mine. It is good to hear all experiences though, to avoid bias.

Jamie.

Hi Nigel -

I agree re: Tropheus requiring a level of "fearlessness" from an economic perspective. There are some VERY tough tangs though. Certainly all the lamprologine linneage that I've kept (Altolamps excluded) is very hardy.

Ps I'm only trying to help you.

Oh yes I realise that! :wub I'm just trying to get it sorted in my mind. Andy's story about the tropheus eating the BN fry makes it clearer - they did not "mysteriously" die, rather there was a cause.

Certainly all the lamprologine linneage that I've kept (Altolamps excluded) is very hardy.

Yes my occies certainly were.

There is no doubt about that Dave I would hate to think how much money I spent before I could keep Tropheus alive.

And that is to the advantage of others ... the experience of yourself and others who keep tropheus help newbies avoid the mistakes that you probably had to learn for yourself.

++++

Something that I'd be really interested in hearing IS the subjective stories as well as the practical ones. What do you like about them? What appeals? How do you feel when you watch them?

With my mbuna tank, there is always something happening. I can never be bored seeing fish chasing and displaying, and then I notice females with mouthfuls and so there is that to enjoy as well. I can lift my eyes from my desk or my computer and there is something to watch. If I want more peaceful and contemplative, I turn around and see my planted tank. So I have a busy tank and a more peaceful tank.

Something that I'd be really interested in hearing IS the subjective stories as well as the practical ones. What do you like about them? What appeals? How do you feel when you watch them?

Hi Fiona, I find Tropheus to be one of the easiest, smartest and unforgiving (no cutting corners) species of fish to keep. I have kept and bred many species of fish since the day I can remember. I currently keep 25 Moliro in a 4*2*2 tank and haven't lost a single fish. I recently decided to get rid of all my other fish and just keep Tropheus. I will be getting another colony (Wild Caught Tropheus Murago colony) within the next couple of weeks. If you want to know my regime please let me know, I would be more that happy to help you.

Waruna :)

Even though I have a lot of mbuna and no tropheus at the moment I have kept both and for me tropheus are more interactive with what goes on outside of the tank. SO I prefer the tropheus, but in saying that it took me 20 years of fish keeping before I would even try tropheus and I think it paid off at the right time.

Even though I have a lot of mbuna and no tropheus at the moment I have kept both and for me tropheus are more interactive with what goes on outside of the tank.

ahh, so it's mbuna like activity with american like owner interaction? :dntknw:

I would say there is diffentely two ways to looks at it. If you go the Tropheus way and you want to do it by the book then you will have single species tank. This can look awesome but can at times become a little bit repititous.

Mbuna on the other hand can be a mix of colours and every differnent species has its own traits making it more of a viewing pleasure.

I currently have a display tank in my lounge room which only has my remaining 10 nkonde. When it was stocked with 60+ tropheus it was tremendous to sit and watch, but now boarders on boring at times and really doesnt make the best looking display tank.

The end decision will be yours. Tropheus are a stand out favourite of mine, but the tank as it is now is a little plain

HTH

Josh

Regimes is something I'm interested in, as I don't know how much time goes into maintaining Tropheus as compared to Mbuna.

I replace 60%- 65% (200L) tank water once weekly with Seachem salts and buffer. Gravel vac every other week. Good filtration, I use Eheim 2217, 2028, 2252 and a Otto 2000L internal filter, over 5000L an hour. I feed them NLS Thera A exclusively, about three times a day.

Waruna :)

That doesn't sound too onerous. What size tank do you have? Lots of filters!

Hi Fiona, I find Tropheus to be one of the easiest, smartest and unforgiving (no cutting corners) species of fish to keep. I have kept and bred many species of fish since the day I can remember. I currently keep 25 Moliro in a 4*2*2 tank and haven't lost a single fish. I recently decided to get rid of all my other fish and just keep Tropheus. I will be getting another colony (Wild Caught Tropheus Murago colony) within the next couple of weeks. If you want to know my regime please let me know, I would be more that happy to help you.

Waruna

Archived