5'x2'x2' on a timber floor ?

Tunnel Rat

Hi I wish to add a 5'x2'x2' tank in my room .I live in a federation style house 100yrs old it has floor boards with hard wood braces.I have been under the house the wood under there is like the day it was layed as soiled as a rock you do not see houses made of wood like this any more .Would love to see a new house of today in 100yrs time :lol3: sorry got off topic.

So I think the 600kg of weight should be ok as long as I do not put the weight on single spots like the six spots of the stand legs.As I do not trust single floor boards with this weight I would put the stand on a concrete board to spread the weight over the hole 5'x2' area and not on six legs.

What do you guys think am I right or am I looking for trouble.

Thx

Rat

hi rat

i think the fibre cement board would have to be at least 15mm thick, and that would costa plenty $'s. if you where not able to conceal it, i also think it would look totaly out of place in you style of home.

why not use 50x25mm harwood boards running front to back. maybe they would be less obtrusive. and would certainly take/spread the wieght.

JMT. cheers; Colin

hi rat

i think the fibre cement board would have to be at least 15mm thick, and that would costa plenty $'s. if you where not able to conceal it, i also think it would look totaly out of place in you style of home.

why not use 50x25mm harwood boards running front to back. maybe they would be less obtrusive. and would certainly take/spread the wieght.

JMT. cheers; Colin

Thanks for the advice the cement boards would look ugly.So do you think a wooden floor would hold the weight of this tank or have you seen a tank of this size on a floor like mine before ?

thanks for any advice.

PS Still have not got off my back side & done anything with that foam I got off you where does the time go :dntknw:

thx

Rat

I would also stand it on wooden boards as spreaders and the direction I would run them would be so that they go across the main weight bearing joists. That's what I do on wooden floors.

I would also stand it on wooden boards as spreaders and the direction I would run them would be so that they go across the main weight bearing joists. That's what I do on wooden floors.

Thanks for your input sounds like a good idea.

Have you ever had a tank this size on a wooden floor or heard of it done ?

thx

Rat

if its a solid wood floor then with the weight spread out there should be little problem. Make sure you check for termite damage before hand though. A stud finder should be able to do that.

make sure I am not in the room when you use the stud finder or it may say its all fine.

wikka wikka

if its a solid wood floor then with the weight spread out there should be little problem. Make sure you check for termite damage before hand though. A stud finder should be able to do that.

make sure I am not in the room when you use the stud finder or it may say its all fine.

wikka wikka

Ok guys thanks for the advice I will get under the house one more time check thing out if all is good I will work on the wife as she will hit the roof when I tell her I am getting a new tank and that it is BIG.

Samma you have that problem with stud finders hey :lol5:

Wont really help but i have a 90L aqua one tank, a 4x14x20 and a standard two foot all up against a wall and all are on floorboards...

There is quite abit of weight as i have round 40kg of gravel in the aquaone cabinent....a spare 3ft tank under the 4ft filled with smaller spare tanks, rocks spare heaters etc..

Still wouldnt add up to your 5x2x2 weight but might give you a idea.....

soiled as a rock

:lol3::lol3::lol3:

I've done similar to Fiona. I have a tank of similar volume on floorboards in my loungeroom, and I made the stand that it sits on.

When making the stand I made it so there was plenty of support at the base of the stand, spreading to the joists so the floorboards themselves weren't really supporting the weight.

Samma3l a stud finder is normally used to locate timber behind a wall, which is thick and dense and able to be screwed. Are you saying you fit this description? :blink

This is a new one on me. How does a stud finder determine whether there are termites present?

Cheers

Andreas

Archived