White Spot- I Think

R.Cee

I just got home and noticed my Blue Rams have about a dozen very small, white, raised spots on their body & fins, and a cougle of Tetras have 1 or 2 spots also.

I have 2 Rams and 12 Neon Tetras housed in a standard 3ft tank. All fish seem fine and active, and have not lost their appitite.

Does this sound like White Spot and if so what do I do?

Or could it be some thing else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick.

how large are the spots? like pin head sized or pin tip sized?

pin head = whitespot

pin tip = velvet

If you have Protozin it would be a good idea to dose now (it kills both), though with drop at a hat blue rams & tetras you might need a lower dose, like what it recommends for loaches perhaps?

If it's velvet, turn off the tank lighting at well.

If you can get a pic it might help the diagnosis, as generic white spot meds might not kill velvet & you want to get it right the first time.

If the fish become groggy & have any skin peeling off, it's velvet & it's too late :(

good luck with it

I recently got rid of some white spot with the "high temp and salt" method.

Apparently lighting can effect meds to good idea so turn them off regardless, if you are using medications.

I recently got rid of some white spot with the "high temp and salt" method.

Apparently lighting can effect meds to good idea so turn them off regardless, if you are using medications.

Thanks fiona,

How hot is 'high temp'.

Rick.

30+ degrees, I believe 32+ can nuke Velvet as well.

You'll need bulk airation to try this though.

32degrees. LOTS OF airation!! And I would put in 2 or 2 handfuls of salt in there.

Half tank water change every 2 or 3 days.

That did the trick for me when i had white spot in a holding tank.

Thanks guys,

I got hold of some Aqua Master Rapid White Spot Remedy and have started using this.

If it turns up again I'll definately be trying high temp/salt method. I would prefer to use a more naturel remedy than chemicals.

Once again thanks,

Rick.

Archived