Advice needed re changing tanks

topline

Hi

My new 8x2 is due to be delivered 1st week of August and I'm trying to ensure all goes smoothly. Currently fish are in a 5 footer and will be moved into 8 footer.

What would be the best way to effect the move?

1. Fill, declorinate, heat new tank, wait a few days and transfer fish along with existing canister filtration.

2. Fill new tank with as much existing water as possible , transfer fish and filtration and then fill remainder of new tank. The effect would be like a huge water change.

3. ANy other ideas??

If I am using existing mature canister filters, do I need to transfer any existing water?

If I using existing mature canister filters and I add an additional bio filter, do I need to "seed" it or will this happen naturally? Will there be a mini cycle of the new bio filter or will the existing filters handle the extra load?

Sorry for the numerous questions, but better safe than sorry.

If anyone is able to help with the carrying of the tank which will be deliverd on a thursday or friday, I'd appreciate the help. PM me and I'll get in touch with you closer to the date.

Cheers

Brian

I like the sound of #2 - less chance the water perameters will be different & possibly kill the filter bacteria.

though really either option will work & if you match the perameters pretty well option #1 is a lot less work.

With the same bioload (fish) and the same established filters there shouldn't be any mini-cycle at all. you can add as many new filters as you want & while the old ones are there she'll be apples.

If you have two or more seeded cannisters, take one away about a month after setting up the tank & see how she goes, then remove the other in another month if the idea is to get whole new filters on the tank.

Or ever faster, put the media from the two current cannisters into the newer bigger replacements, plus new media to make up the volume. Still have the same bacteria then & it'll seed the new media really quickly.

So, what's your new planned filters?

Are the original cannisters from the 5 footer meant to end up back on the 5 footer? if so, steal the media for the new ones.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply Ash

5 footer will be sold/given away once 8 footer is up and running. All existing filters from 5 footer will remain on 8 footer.

Existing Filters: Eheim 2017, Aqua One 2400 and u/g (will be ditching this one), 18w UV and experimantal Nitrate Filter(not working yet).

New Filters: fx5 and and old tunze system i dug up from the shed consisting of 2 quick change filters and 2 drip biofilters. Perhaps also fluidised bed but that may be a bit ov overkill..

Curently perform up to 70% water changes weekly and no effect on filters so perhaps as long as I allow water to stand in new tank for a day or 2 just transfer fish over. My tank parameters and tap water parameters are the same except for a little nitrate in the tank (20ppm).

Cheers

Brian

I would do # 1, it would be less stress for you and your fish IMO.

however i would put and leave the fish in the tank for a few days then put the filter in... it just gives the tank some bio load first before you put the filter in. But if you got more than one filter by all means run one of them.

#2 in my experience, messes up the water parameters in the new tank once setup as you just stir up all the muck from your old tank. Which is when you can run into trouble with spikes.

This is just my opinion but by all means do what is best for you.

Tam

hi Ric

i also practise the #2 option.

you are currently doing 75% waterchanges. go 50/50 with the water and the fish wont know any difference.

if you plan on using the old substrate as well. give that a rinse in the remaining 50% old water, than t/fer that as well. all will be good

cheers; C

Hi Brian,

All options are good and everyone's posts have merit. I'd probably side with Colfish, especially since your "old" water is obviously good quality (given that you perform 70% weekly water changes). BTW Nikki and I can come and help, although you will only be able to count us as "1". I think you'll need at least 6 other strong men.

Andrea :)

Thanks guys and gals.:thumb I think i will make my decision when I see how dirty my new sand substrate is..... :dntknw:

The tankbuilder (wont mention names as not a sponsor) is of the impression that 4 people will be enough. He will be bringing the tank and cabinet with a co-worker and has asked if I could have 1 additional nice strong fellow my side to help.

I think that 6 people would probably be safer and will post a request for help when I have a delivery date.

Cheers

Brian

I've shifted a 6x2 with only two blokes & we did an 8x2 with 4 - depends on the strength of the lifters & how far they have to move it.

We had to take them down the side of a house & into a large doorway & onto the stands, pretty simple really. If you've got more twists & turns you'll definately need more people. better to have too many than too few for sure

Assuming the 5 footer is not were the 8 footer will be, but close.

i would set up the 8 footer, fill about 20cm deep tap water, and then add the new pre washed sand, at this stage you may need to stir up the new sand and do another water change of 20cm, you could add the old washed sand now , or before the last water change i just mentioned. (sand is a lot dirtier than it looks)..

once you are happy that all the sand is in and water clearish enough ( it will settle down) add and arange the decor, rocks etc., also add your water treatments etc, and any heaters to get the temp , correct.

next put as much of the old 5ft water in the tank as possible, should be atleast 3/4 full by now, add your

then add the fish while the tank is filling up. .

add the filters, filters should be good to turn on once at the correct level.

i usually leave the tank not full yet, and top it up in a few days just to maintain the bioload, then next water change day which will be a shorter time treat as normal.

Moving an 8 foot tank, brings back memories lol. Well not sure about yours i beleive it is 8x2x2.5h thats a lot of glass, probably 12mm also

my 8x2x2 in 12mm weighs 246kg it is damm heavy and a big ars thing to move, awkward. I had 5 blokes and 2 gals with my lift 2 of the blokes were pretty weedy i guess, but it was heavy, way more than 2 people on a 6x2x2 which is cruizy. i would recomend that you get 4 strong, people to help you, and a few runners incase something needs to be moved etc. less people is better as more will tend to get in each others way, and they all want to go different ways,

I wish you luck with the move...

I moved my 10'x 2'x 2.5' with 8 blokes to get it from the truck to inside the building (a bit of a struggle) and we needed 5 just to lift it from a table onto the stand. Id recomend 6 for an 8x2 as you will find it tricky to manage doorways and corners with a long tank, 6 means a couple can move ahead and pull the tank through rather than try to fit tank and people through a doorway. Always better to be safe than sorry!

Liz

Archived