Chalinochromis Popelini & Julidochromis Ornatus

roskam3001

Hi all,

Please excuse my ignorance but can someone please tell me how callinochromis popelini and julidochromis ornatus differ.

I have had a batch of ornatus fry for a couple of months and recently bought an adult pair of popelini. To me, they look incredibly similar - two horizontal lines along the side of the body and one along the dorsal fin, obviously the same body shape and head shape - I can't pick a difference. I must say, however, that my ornatus are young (3-4cm) whilst the popelini pair are 8-10cm so perhaps there are some changes to be witnessed in the ornatus as they get bigger.

Thinking that I had perhaps been sold ornatus in the guise of popelini, I raced to my konings book on tangs only to find that the pictures of both species are incredibly similar! I am not a scientist and don't pretend to have an understanding as to how species are classified, but as a humble fish buyer and keeper, how could I walk into a lfs and be confident in telling these two beautiful species apart.

Cheers

Neil

I keep callinochromis popelini and have noticed they are very similar, the main difference that I can see would be the slightly thinner lines on the the callinochromis popelini.

Hopefully someone with more experience can help. I got mine from YEW

post some pics and we'll tell you which one they are.

The Chalinochromis head is quite different to the Julidochromis. Mick - look after those fish the parents died when I moved house :(.

post some pics and we'll tell you which one they are.

The Chalinochromis head is quite different to the Julidochromis. Mick - look after those fish the parents died when I moved house :(.

They are all good and I have 5 fry growing out at the moment. Unfortunately I was too late and the rest got eaten

The tail shape is totally different -

The Julidochromis have a rounded spade shaped tail and the Chalinochromis have a straight edge. Hard to explain without pictures, but if you check some it will make more sense.

I too had this problem a couple of months ago and ended up with Ornatus...

Cheers

Steve

Archived