Blue Ram poblem-what do you think?

fishmania

Are they young specimens? It's not uncommon for them to have a few false starts before going at it "hammer and tong". :lol1:

What else are you keeping in the tank with them? Most sorts of schooling fish would stress a breeding pair out to the point where they don't feel their environment is conducive to breeding. They like a quiet, acidic, heavily planted tank.

Regards,

Andrew.

They are in with a few guppies. This is only their first day in the tank and yes they are pretty young. The other fish don;t bother them, I have heard of the females eating the eggs I just didn;t think they would do it straight away :lol2: haha

Woudl't the male try to fertalise the eggs though? instead of just eating them straight away? :dntknw:

It's not uncommon for them to have a few false starts before going at it "hammer and tong".

Really, it's true that they may take a few goes to get going. Start worrying after 3 more false starts.

There are good and there are bad ones. I know someone who has a strain that breeds in tap water and don't eat eggs. It really depends on your luck - but it is true that many have such problem and it can be a pain to grow them out of such behaviour. Hence many breeders removes the egg and hatch them seperately from the parent (which further removes their instinct to guard the spawn).

So if you got tired of them keep eating their own spawn, try something different when you're really out of option.

Thomas.

I always found that every Ram I bought would never look after eggs or fry. I would hatch artificially. all subsequent generations were good parents. I think it may be stress of having been moved (from store to home in a plastic bag).

Normally the male will guard the eggs and the female should be removed for her safety. Never had a male eating eggs. Could be young and hence the eggs are not fertile yet hence he is eating them. Give them time and see how they go.

Steve

Archived