Mixed Rift Lake Tank?

scat35

Hey, Crunch time has come and i need to make some solid decisions on what fish im going to keep in my 7ft tank.

I really need all your guys feedback and experience on this please

At this stage i have some Pseudotropheus Elongatus "neon spot" to put in the tank and want some nice electric yellows and this is where my dilemma comes in.I also would love to keep some V.Moori and Neolamprologus Brichardi.

Could i successfully keep these species together if i was very careful in what i choose to mix between the lakes?

Craig :thumbup:

hi Craig

i keep tangs and malawis together the main thing is to make sure what you choose will be compatible , i have found some of the pseudotropheus species to be rather agressive so i think as long as you keep similar natured fish together you shouldnt have any problems ,

Ive had so much varied feedback on different forums im at a loss to what to think :confused:

I want to start off my tank with 4 Pseudotropheus Elongatus "neon spot" maybe 4-6 electric yellows and some V.Moorii`s.

Obviously i wont be putting them all in straight away it will be over a few weeks but being such a large tank it shouldnt be a problem do you think?

Once i have those fish in succesfully i can take my time choosing how i want to stock the tank.A definate one will be cuckoo catfish down the track as i want to buy mature sized cats.

So all feedback will be a great help

:thumbup:

Craig

Your main problem is with the elongatus and yellows - they are both Mbuna, and the elongatus are infamous for intra/interspecific aggression. It's a big enough tank though - so you should be totally ok!

I keep Tangs and Malawis together and have no problems whatsoever. V. moorii and N. brichardi are tougher, meaner and better able to take care of themselves than any of the Mbuna, but they only guard very small territories, which means that everyone should get along ok in your tank.

Best of luck,

Andrew.

It just keeps sounding better and better :thumbup: Thanks andrew.

Will be getting it going on saturday and will post some pics of it with water on the weekend

Cheers

Craig

P.S This is what it looks like now(oh the wait is killing me :) )

IPB Image

Well I keep all these guys together in my 4 Footer and they all seem to get along fine and they are a bit of a mix.

1x Cyrotocara Moorii

2xM Labidochromis caeruleus

1xM 2xF Julidochromis transcriptus (Gombie)

1xM 1xF Neolamprologus brichardi

2xM Haplochromis sp. "flameback"

2xF 2xM Peacocks

2x Clownloachs

2x BNs

The brichardi will chase them off if anything gets to close to their cave, and the gombies chase off anything as well for the same reasons. But other then that they are fine, even the 2 male flamebacks don't fight with each other anymore (took about 2 weeks for them to settle down)

I dunno if that helps you out at all, but i am fairly new to the whole cichlid thing and i've had good success so far with these guys!

Very nice tank! Don't forget, Tangs need super-clean water and Malawis need pretty clean water, so keep it super-clean to be on the safe side.

I demand to see pics when it is all up and running! :lol4:

Andrew.

Will be running 2 ehiem 2217 canister filters and in a few weeks will get a internal power filter filled will carbon to help eliminate and dead spots of water that aint getting pushed around.

Do you think that will be enough filtration?

Have had a malwai tank before (quite a few years ago and have spent months researching everything this time from tanks to filtration to fish)now the kids have grown up am going to try again without them poison my tanks :(

By the way Andrew i love the brichardi`s and you just help me make the decision to put them in as well!

Brichardi have always been my favourite fish in the world. No colour - just sheer beauty & grace. Good on you mate for choosing them!

Do you think that will be enough filtration?

Yes. Absolutely. LOL

Keep your water changes up though, and have plenty of air pumping through the tank. :thumb

Cheers,

Andrew.

Archived