I want something new (in fish that is)

Sash

Hi guys.

Over the past month or so i dont know why but i have just wanted to change my fish. I have a 4ft tank and approximatly 20 (8cm) cobalt blues and 6 (8cm) clown loaches living in it. I wanted to grow out the cichlids and breed them but i have lost interest. I guess its because they give me too many problems with fighting etc. hence ive been intreiged by other types of fish. What i guess i want now is a fish that is good looking (this is my display tank) and would grow large (suitable to a 4th also). I dont really want many fish, maybe 2-5 but i love breeding them so breeding is a must lol.

Basically what i am asking is opinions on what i can aqquire that can be kept in a 4ft, grow considerable size, colour nicely, and breed for me. If you also have anything similar for sale PM me.

Oh and id like to throw some plecos in there.

CHeers

Do you like active fish or do you prefer a more peaceful tank? If you want larger fish I'd still be looking more at a mid size fish in a 4ft, especially if you want a few and to breed.

Well i guess ill have to get something mid sized then, because i love having fish that breed. If this was not such a big issue id try marine. But yeah, i definetly want something that would breed for me, preferebly egg layer and mid size. How active they are does not bother me as long as they dont go hiding at the site of me lol.

cheers

Do you mean substrate spawner rather than a mouth brooder? I've been looking at some of the more peaceful and mid sized Americans like firemouths, rainbows, and so on. I have some nics, which are very pretty. Another way to go if you wanted to stay African would be to look at some haps, not sure what would fit in a 4ft, but some peacocks would certainly and look very attractive too - go for a single species if breeding.

Just a thought - what about a geophagus type? There's been a lot of talk about them as of late.. They are big, peaceful and can be bred and they look insanely awesome... I think they would be fine in a 4ft, though i haven't kept them so someone else may need to help you out there.

But yeah - Just an idea for you to mull over. ^^

Do you mean substrate spawner rather than a mouth brooder? I've been looking at some of the more peaceful and mid sized Americans like firemouths, rainbows, and so on. I have some nics, which are very pretty. Another way to go if you wanted to stay African would be to look at some haps, not sure what would fit in a 4ft, but some peacocks would certainly and look very attractive too - go for a single species if breeding.

Yeah i meant substrate spawner. I also dont really want to get anything that common if you know what i mean. Something that is worth the effort iam going to put in raising them.

Just a thought - what about a geophagus type? There's been a lot of talk about them as of late.. They are big, peaceful and can be bred and they look insanely awesome... I think they would be fine in a 4ft, though i haven't kept them so someone else may need to help you out there.

But yeah - Just an idea for you to mull over. ^^

You read my mind. I was thinking geos myself but i dont know much about them and how much they cost. I love their look and anything that looks similar would ber very appealing..

More ideas guys?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

gday mate,

we have a couple of suggestions.

geophagus braziliensis (pearl cichlid) we have a pair in a 4 footer they are fair sized breed well and look great. not expensive even for a fair sized pair. they are like living bulldozers how they move so much substrate around.

anouther one is pollini. we have 3 footer with a 25cm 3year old girl and she is going into a big tank to try to breed her (male is only 11 months and wont grow quick enough). great looking with alot of attitude.

green terrors is anouther option they dont grow huge but have a lot of colour and our male is one tough cookie.

but for value for money look into the pearls.

hth

Macka & Kitty

shame your not in melb as im thinking of getting rid of pearls for tank space they breed so much you have too many grow tanks for them.

:)

Macka & Kitty

HI There

Yeah i actually like the idea of Geophagus myself. I dont want mouth brooders really. So these look nice. Although i would like something more rare than Geophagus brasiliensis.

Anyone in sydney have any breeding pairs for sale?

EDIT: actually is what i am looking for clasified as Eartheaters? i mean are most eartheaters typically like geos?

Cheers

Sash

Archived