A few questions

paulibius

First Q. Does anyone know how to sex Heckelii. I have 7 good sized ones that are digging hole in the gravel all the time. Also any one breeding them. Looking for some info on breeding.

Also Do many people use sponge filters exclusively. Cause I am thinking about seting up my next tanks with them instaed of using a system like my others. Just for cost purposes. I realise it will be alot more work to keep water good and will have to keep on top of weekly water changes.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers Paul.

First Q. Does anyone know how to sex Heckelii. I have 7 good sized ones that are digging hole in the gravel all the time. Also any one breeding them. Looking for some info on breeding.

Heckelii need to be vent-sexed. Male vents are arrow shaped and smaller than female vents, which are roundish.

They will breed in the same conditions that you provide for discus. They need planty of room, and a secretive, heavily planted tack for best reults.

Yep, bred them a few times. That size tank is fine, but again, make them feel at home with a lot of plants.

Archived