OK you Tang fans, advise me (or not go tang?)

fiona

Hey all

I'm buying a 2.5x2.5x2 display tank and am not totally decided on what to put in there. Currently thinking that I'll have it planted with my nics and some other fish in there, kind of mixed, or shall I go tang? Would it fit some trophs in there and could I have other things in with them? Or maybe some Julies, shellies, altos, maybe small sandsifter? And a few small cyps if it's big enough? Aaaggh, I just don't know.

It's going to be right near my desk so it's got to be interesting to look at (err, perhaps not TOO interesting or I'll never get any work done). Also it's in the house (only 2 tanks in the house the rest are in the shed) so it's got to be pleasing to family and visitors.

What do you reckon?

I personally like the concept of a display(Tangs) with one species(maybe 2) as a colony.

Pile of rocks in the middle surrounded by shells....multies in the shells and julies in the rocks?

or maybe just one species.....N. brichardi(or similar). You end up with several pair and fry and juvies everywhere....great conversation piece!

I'd go with the single species option.

Maybe some julies or caudoes as they're step breeders and aesthetically pleasing!

Either that or a colony of multis :D Sure you can fit 70 fish into a 2" tank :p

Cheers

Mick

Bare tank with a large layer of sand and put some sand sifters in there. as well as a small varient of leptosoma.

Thats what i would do.

But im not a tang man, but if it had to be tangs thats what i would go with.

Long Live the Malawis!!!

Cheers

Boyd

Since its practically a cube tank why dont you lay a sand bed down and shells all over the bottom. You could then place them large pebble stones (like ones in Stottos 4x2x2) all around the shells. An array of shellies such as a group of multies, a pair or two of occies, some caudos and brevis maybe. As for cyps im sure a school of juvies to hover around the top section of the tank would look awesome, just they will have to move to a larger home once they grow.

HTH

Richard

Mm, I don't want to go single species, it has to have some variety. The tank is actually larger than it sounds, it has a larger "footprint" than my 4x18x18, although not as long in any dimension.

(BTW I have seen trophs kept successfully in a 4fter)

Hey

lots of rockwork in the background, creating caves, for a school of nigripinnis, in the forground some shells for a pair/trio of shellies, you could probably fit in a julidochromis. Everything in the tank you could leave to spit and raise in the tank, some small anubias for decor, fry retreat, (I know these are not Tangs, but they look great and go well).

I have a tank similar and it is slow, but looks fanastic. The nigs do not need as much space as cyp's.

Grant

hi,

i have the following in my 3x2x2:

5 (2m/3f) A.calvus

5 (2m/3f) Cyps (not jumbos)

1 pair leleupi

1 lionhead

1 J. transcriptus

1 N.cylindricus

1 b/n

All are fully grown except for the calvus. They get along well and all the multiples/pairs are breeding. It has turned out to be quite a good tank for both display and breeding. Your tank might be of similar volume?

Anyway cheers

Glenn

Have to agree with grant, I also have a 2x2x18 that has rocks in 3/4 corners and it has a smal group of 3 Xeno flavipinnis, and 9 P.nigripinnis, i also have a pair of N.caudopunctatus in their, who are kinda the boss, only been set up for a few weeks but all fish are getting along fine as they all occupy different areas.

and fiona you are right a 2.5x2.5 foot print is pretty big really, and at 2 feet hight its a tad over 330L

I would do somthing similar, using coulourfull pieces of flat sandstone placced leaning up in the corners and maybe a few bigger rocks towards one corner, and a lightish sand substrate, for contrast. I would then collect a few "pretty shells" from the home decor places as they do look pretty cool with a few shellies living in them ( the ones that are not buried anyways)

and place them beside the bigger rocks in the centre, leaving a nice sandy area in the front.. the anubius will be ok and is a nice looking bit of plant and will add nicly to the contrast

maybe get a variety of occy as they would have better contrast, the flavs and the caudos of mine are similar colours., and i beleivce Grant has a few very nice Xeno flavipinnis fry at the moment...if there are any left.

Given the size of the tank i would also try adding a pair of duboisi, or a gobie they would really add to the colour contrast , and activity of the fish.

imagine these all together with the decsribed back drop of sandstone.

Dont have a good shelly pic, but do have

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

anyways theres my thoughts about it..... ;)

Archived