Recommendations for commercial CO2 systems

foai

I would llike to set up a planted tank for either 4 foot or 6 foot and need a recommendation for a commercial C02 system that works. The smaller ones I have tried in the past (ie based on yeast) have been hugely disappointing.

I have done a lot of poking around on the net but haven't come up with much that is useful for products offered in Australia.

Has anybody got any experience in the refillable CO2 bottle systems by Dupla or Sera and can anybody make a recommendation with an indication of the price involved.

Thanks

Foai

Hi

You havn't found any useful info on co2 in Australia you say, well lets change that lol.

My advise for this size would be dupla- delta fitting, bubble counter,non return valve,reactor 400 and visual test. This would be a great setup for this size aquarium. I use this system on my 3 4x2x2 growout tanks.

If the tank were larger i may say to use a larger reactor. I put a reactor s on a file snake exhibit that was around 6x3x3 so probably no need for you to go overboard with the reactor.

If you have an extra 6-700 you could go automatic by adding a p.h controller and solenoid. This is not essential but if you require a very stable p.h, for display fish etc then you would want one.

As far as bottles go i offer hired bottles instead of buying a bottle from dupla. Not because they are not a good bottle but most gas places are being tight and not refilling bottles that are not theirs. I would hate to see you with a 300 dollar dupla cannister that you cant re-fill. This problem is becoming very common. Its happening in melb and also its even worse in Tas where i got a guy some co2 gear and the local gas guys refused to fill any bottle that wasnt theirs. Nice types.

A rough price for a professional setup(manual) would be around $600. This exludes the p.h controller and bottle. Bottles these days can be hired for $60 per year from any good home brew shop.

For some rough prices check out Boronia Aquarium

Enter the shopping area and check out the prices on the items you require.

I use a Dupla set on my 2 foot tank. 750gram bottle. Dupla Bubble counter Dupla Solenoid, and i've made my own co2 reactor that works really well and gets 100% diffusion. The design is based on the 'Rex Reactor' from another forum. you can get info on it by googling it.

• 3 weeks later...

I am using a mixture of German made components. Aquamedic Ph controller with Aquamedic solenoide valve, Aquamedic Reactor 1000 (for XL tanks to 2500 litres), Dupla bubble counter, Dupla 1.5kg CO2 bottle & Eheim regulator. The system works a treat, Ph is set to desired level and all I do is wait for the bottle to empty ! My lfs charges me $28 for refill of 1.5kg. What a bloody rip off. My mate on the Sunshine Coast pays $14 for the same. I will be looking for a new lfs to fill my bottle, otherwise I will hire a VT bottle from BOC. Anyone know lfs that refill CO2 bottles?

come down to auburn aquarium we charge $18 for 1.5kg-2kg,

750g-$12 or 500g-$10. we now keep 2 co2 cylinders in stock just ring first and make sure we have plenty gas left.

just a little tip freeze the bottle in the freezer the night before you wont have to wait for us to chill the bottle and the colder your bottle is the better the fill will be.

cheers shovely. :thumbup:

Shovelly,

Many thanks, those prices are quite reasonable, and I head out Auburn way sometimes anyway. So I will do my filling at Auburn in future. Once again, Brookvale aquarium shop will be on not be getting my business.

As for CO2 gear, people always talk of Dupla (and rightly so), but I would argue that Aqua Medic (another German company) is perhaps even better quality. They make very high quality products indeed. Another German company JBL might also be an option and perhaps slightly more affordable. Eitherway, consider paying more for German quality as apposed to cheap and cheerful chinese CO2 gear.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When getting a CO2, get the cheapest bottle you can find.

I mean the bottle does not do anything other than holding the gas.

I dont think its necessary to get Dupla or Sera brand bottle.

The most important part for CO2 setup is the regulator and diffuser/reactor.

Regulator will determine the amount of gas release.

A good regulator will be able to do small friction of adjustment.

Diffuser/reactor will determine how the gas released into the water.

What is the best brand for regulator and diffuser/reactor ?? I cannot tell you ...

• 1 month later...

I would llike to set up a planted tank for either 4 foot or 6 foot and need a recommendation for a commercial C02 system that works. The smaller ones I have tried in the past (ie based on yeast) have been hugely disappointing.

I have done a lot of poking around on the net but haven't come up with much that is useful for products offered in Australia.

Has anybody got any experience in the refillable CO2 bottle systems by Dupla or Sera and can anybody make a recommendation with an indication of the price involved.

Thanks

Foai

Hi There,

I've been doing a bucket load of research for planted tanks and atm i'm doing a DIY co2 for my 30gallon. Its working like a treat and its ridiculously simple to make! :thumbup:

http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/DIY-Yeast-CO2/7/

The first question you need to ask is what do you want to achieve with the tank? DO you want a lush heavily planted tank thats high maintenance. Or a sparcely decorated tank, thats low maintenance etc etc. Once you start adding co2 you will need good lighting and fertilizer to keep up with the plant growth.

ATM i'm looking at getting an Old CO2 fire extinguisher, and getting a regulator to fit it. It has been done...

http://www.ausdiscus.com.au/fertilisation.html

The problem is finding the correct fittings for your regulator. I recommend looking at some home brew forums they have stacks of info on this stuff... It is by far the cheapest way to do pressurised co2 for a big tank.

I'm also looking at the old sodastream co2 bottles that you can buy from K-mart... I found abloke that makes an adaptor for the sodastream bottles that makes it fit to the standard regulators. For a small tank i think that would be sufficient. It costs about $45 to buy the bottle, then you exchange it for a new one for $11.95... It's only 330 grams though...

I'll keep you posted on my development... :thumb Good luck...

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I have a Dupla C02 sytem on my 4x2x2 tank. I have a Dupla Reactor S connected to the output of the 2228 and today I looked at the output of my Eheim 2228 filter and was amazed at how slow the flow was. I bypassed the reactor S and the difference in the water flow was amazing to say the least.

With the reactor connected the flow was just a slow dribble but without it, it was a torrent.

Has anybody else experienced this?

I have seen a C02 diffusor (glass) (which would negate the need for a reactor) advertised on another online site but it is was way overpriced ($200 plus) and there is no way I am paying that much.

I really need the C02 due to the wattage (330w) on the tank but I also would like the filter flow to be alot higher.

Dave.

Archived