Electric yellow colour development

fiona

I have a colony with adults from three top colonies sourced from NSW and Qld (none of which exist as they were any more - two dispersed and one shifted states). I have noticed a lot of variation in the fry (perhaps not surprising given the variety of bloodlines). I'm not sure at what size the development of colour is complete and from that, at what size I should cull. Advice and your experience would be great thanks, most specifically from people who have good colonies and some experience of mixing lines and growing up fry from these mixed lines colonies.

Fiona - just to clarify you have a breeding colony of electric yellows that have breed ?

If so i would begin culling deformed fish (shouldnt be many as your fish are top notch) whenever you notice deformaties...

Eg: You may see a fish with a bent spine @ 2cm, or you may see fish with a funny mouth when its @ 5cm... :)

If you intent on culling fry with poor colour i would do it at about 3cm or whenever colour is showing nicely...

HTH

(I have sent you a PM)

Cheers

Sam :)

One of the variations is that colour seems to show at different sizes, but I'm not sure at what size the colour development is complete in the different fish ... I recall that one of the lines seemed to colour up later than others but ended up as a vivid bright yellow. Any that don't measure up will be culled but not sure where to put the cut-off point size-wise.

Oh and to clarify, yes these are fry of adults that I bought in as fry.

Hoe many batches of fry do you have in your grow out tank? Could just be the dominace of the larger one colouring up good.It would be hard to tell what mother they came from if they were all mixed in the same tank. Just my opinion Hrmm?

hi fiona

i'd despatch any obvious problems asap. grow them to 4> cm, then make your first selection [more than you intend to keep] then do another cull at 6>cm, etc untill you have the final number that you intend to breed on with. don't be soft [maybe these ones will turn out ok later on] pick only the best, [they eat the same as all others]

cheers; Colin

If you had the tank space time and were worried about dominant fish colouring and the less dominant staying dull. You could remove all the brightest fish to another tank and see if others start to hi ho silver :dntknw: just a thought...

Thanks for the input all ... the largest would be about 4cm ATM. And just noticed 2 of my best females with mouthfuls so more on the way ... there must be something in the air ... I don't think I have a mouthbrooding species without at least one female holding right now!

Since I've mixed bloodlines it may be some time before the characteristics stabilise ... although there are more now to source from I see from the recent posts, so if I get some of those they may not settle into a "type" just yet ... I do like the shape of what I have right now. Must post a piccy of the No. 1 male, he's got everything I like in a yellow - shape, rich clear colour, thick dark black lines, vigour. Just have to buy a new camera ... old one broke finally.

I've seen Fiona's No.1 Male and i can tell you that it's got to be one of the best electric yellow males i've seen around and i got it's brother :thumbup: Top fish Fiona!

Jim

And just noticed 2 of my best females with mouthfuls so more on the way ... there must be something in the air ...

yep, sure is somthing there, nice big low pressure troughs

... although there are more now to source from I see from the recent posts, so if I get some of those they may not settle into a "type" just yet...

unless you split your current colony, i wouldn't add another line. if this colony has what you're looking to 'set' , you have 2yrs work with this line yet,

ahh, it's all good fun

cheers; C

Archived