Stocking Advice 8x2x2.5 (Pics Added 56k beware)

topline

I am planning stocking a 8x2x2.5 (roughly 1100 liters. How does this list look? Anything I should leave out? Any possibility of adding some extra geo's?

Sizes are current sizes.

6 Clown Loach 4"-6"

3 Yoyo Loach 3"

7 Dwarf Loach 2"

1 Bristlenose Catfish 4"

3 Uaru 3"

3 Gold Severum (will be thinned out if pair forms) 3"

3 Green Severum (will be thinned out if pair forms) 2"

2 Geophagus Brasiliensis 2"

3 Geophagus Surimensis 2"

1 Geophagus Steindachneri 4"

3 Chocolate Cichlids (will be thinned out if pair forms) 2"

2 Satanoperca Leucosticta 5"

3 Geophagus Tapajos Orange Head 2"

Thanks in advance

Brian

Hi

Thanks for the replies

Toufic: Nice tank. What background is that? Looks real neat.

Andrea: Already got some brazillies, they are my main concern. Already at 2", they are pretty aggressive and I'm concerned that they could reap havoc as they grow... will have to wait and see. Perhaps an introduction of a new bloodline would be a good idea??? Have to be careful of what I add and the health of new additions as with the clown loaches in there, treating for diseases is a nightmare and takes forever to clear anything up. If you know anyone who might have some altifrons ??..??.. :lol4:

Cheers

Brian

GET RID OF THE BRASILIENSIS!!

they will only cause you greif in the future....sure they look great but they just hassle every one of the species you have listed....the geos need peace and quiet...for example, your leucostictus are very slow eaters....they take a long time to swallow what they bite.....spitting it out many times .... i,d probably drop the chocolates as well....your tapajos are very timid also.....buy yourself the south american eartheaters book and read up on all the geos you are thinking about.....i'll list what i have in my 8x2x2

5 altifrons tocantins (20cm)

7 altifons aripuna (15cm)

6 rio pindare (6-12cm)

4 clowns (20cm)

3 gibbiceps (20-35cm)

3 brachibrancus (8cm)

2 green severums (10cm & 150 fry)

1 balzani (8cm)

1crenicichla lepidota(25cm)

i just removed 9 brasils (6 females and 3 males) and every one of my geos improved in condition within hours....no more stress.....currently theyare pairing up all over the place.....

so look out next time i do my water change!!!! just a little secret....when you do a water change....dont let the temp. drop by more than 6 degrees....this will simulate fresh rain..and being amazon fishes, they are

influenced by the rise and fall of seasonal rains....

if you want to check em out, look at the post on these pages called "some of my geos"

good luck, Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Your tanks is awesome. If mine looks anything like that I'll be over the moon :yes:.

What do you think of the stocking numbers, any room for some altifros in there? I've always wanted chocolate's but have struggled to find them. Mine are really tiny and have a really differant way of swimming. Very interesting to watch. Will keep an eye on them and if they cause any trouble, will swap them out.

Cheers

Brian

Thanks Jeff. Your tanks is awesome. If mine looks anything like that I'll be over the moon :yes:.

What do you think of the stocking numbers, any room for some altifros in there? I've always wanted chocolate's but have struggled to find them. Mine are really tiny and have a really differant way of swimming. Very interesting to watch. Will keep an eye on them and if they cause any trouble, will swap them out.

Cheers

Brian

mate , if they are only tiny they should n't cause too much trouble in a big tank like yours(the chocolates, i mean)....just wack em all in together & see how they get on....just keep in mind what you are trying to acheive.....and just because(in the case of brasiliensis) a fish is called a geophagus, doesn't mean that they will all get on famously.....the amazon is an enormous place....like i said , get the book and it'll tell you waht goes with what.....each species come from what is called a "complex" and each complex will often inhabit differant parts of south america.....often completely differant PH and temperatures....dont get me wrong mate.....i did the same thing when i started....i collected every fish that was called a geophagus that i could get my hands on...thats how i know what goes with what.....like i said if you are gunna keep these guys, you really must get the book.....

im happy to help you if you like, but a lot of what i know is from the book....

i've even contacted the author to ask him to ID fish for me..so the info is out there..

hope i've helped, if you are unclear on any thing just PM me and we can have a chat

Hi Guts

Just got the book "South American Eartheaters" by Thomas Weidner by post from the USA. Is this the one you mean? Makes for a facinating read. Whilst in an ideal world we would all have large tanks devoted to single species, in my world I am limited to one tank. I am lucky in that the water comes out my tap as follows:

pH 6.8

Hardness 120ppm

Alkalinity 100ppm

Nitrate 0

Sooooo... with these parameters, I am able to keep (breeding not essential) a large percentage of the fish mentioned in the book. The book, however, does not seem to delve into the various mixes of fish that can be kept together. Sure these fish may never "meet" in the wild, but I dont want to limit myself to species from a particular tributary of a particular strem. An eventual tank of large, healthy, colourful cichlids with interesting habits, interacting together at different levels in the aquarium living together for what may be the next 10-20 years is what I'm after (I've had the same clown loaches for just over 8 years now and they are part of the family).

So any reccomentations that will help me reach this goal are greatly appreciated.

I will be getting rid of the 2 braziliensis and perhaps getting rid of the single steindachneri. If anyone has any altifrons available, I'd love to grab a few.

Thanks again :thumbup:

Brian

Hi Guts

Just got the book "South American Eartheaters" by Thomas Weidner by post from the USA. Is this the one you mean? Makes for a facinating read. Whilst in an ideal world we would all have large tanks devoted to single species, in my world I am limited to one tank. I am lucky in that the water comes out my tap as follows:

pH 6.8

Hardness 120ppm

Alkalinity 100ppm

Nitrate 0

Sooooo... with these parameters, I am able to keep (breeding not essential) a large percentage of the fish mentioned in the book. The book, however, does not seem to delve into the various mixes of fish that can be kept together. Sure these fish may never "meet" in the wild, but I dont want to limit myself to species from a particular tributary of a particular strem. An eventual tank of large, healthy, colourful cichlids with interesting habits, interacting together at different levels in the aquarium living together for what may be the next 10-20 years is what I'm after (I've had the same clown loaches for just over 8 years now and they are part of the family).

So any reccomentations that will help me reach this goal are greatly appreciated.

I will be getting rid of the 2 braziliensis and perhaps getting rid of the single steindachneri. If anyone has any altifrons available, I'd love to grab a few.

Thanks again :thumbup:

Brian

See mate, now you're getting it...i was going to suggest that you drop the "red hump" but i didn't want to offend you as they are great charractors...but they can be bullies.......the book doesnt say," put this with that" but, it will say that this species likes dappled light and plenty of cover......that would tell you that the species is quite timid.....it may also say something like."this species is very aggresive intraspectively" which indicates that they harass each other. not necessarily other species...or this species comes from below a set of rapids and requires frequent water changes and a fast flowing current......so,.....read up on what you like....and then give em a go....

.ive had my clowns for about the same time and my missus would cut my .....(well you know) if i got rid of em....she doesnt see my altifons as the beautiful creatures that they are.....or my spawning argryostictus as being a great personal achievemant.....but you mention the clowns.....

any way i hope i could help you....

the book is the best publication i have ever seen on the subject.....

what you WILL find is identification is often unreliable....but you can cross referance your fish with the photo in the book and you may even discover that you actually have a species that is more rare than what you paid for....thats how i come to have argryostictus(its a long story) but that is what can happen....

feel free to PM me anytime

regards Jeff :thumb

Some of my babies waiting for their new home:

Excuse scratches and muck on glass.

Chocolate Cichlid:

IPB Image

Satanoperca Leucosticta:

IPB Image

Geophagus Tapajos Orange Head (I think):

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Geophagus Brasiliensis:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Cheers

Brian

you've got some nice young boys there.....

may i make one suggestion......your gravel seems to be very coarse...these blokes love fine sand.....i dont know what filtration you use(maybe under gravel) but if you were to replace half, with some fine river sand you will see much more sand sifting especially from your leucasticta......

good luck with em

Jeff ;)

Thanks for the compliments. :)

Jeff:- Will be using pool sand in the larger tank and getting rid of Undergravels for the first time in 30 years. :clap Weight of opinions regarding this type of filter has finally convinced me. The use of fine sand will dispel my fear of uneaten food getting trapped between the gravel. You say "nice young boys", are you using this term loosely of are you referiing to their sex?

Will post more pics when tank is done.

Cheers

Brian

Thanks for the compliments. :)

Jeff:- Will be using pool sand in the larger tank and getting rid of Undergravels for the first time in 30 years. :clap Weight of opinions regarding this type of filter has finally convinced me. The use of fine sand will dispel my fear of uneaten food getting trapped between the gravel. You say "nice young boys", are you using this term loosely of are you referiing to their sex?

Will post more pics when tank is done.

Cheers

Brian

one has to be careful when using the term "nice young boys" :lol3::lol3: but yes i was using it loosely....your tapajos definately looks male....great colour for such a young fish.....just a tip, mate, dont be tempted to add 4 inches of pool sand, thinking that you'll give them plenty to sift through....you are better off with less then an inch...in fact, parts of my tank are quite bare...this makes sure that they actually turn over the intire substrate, as opposed to only the top few millimitres...i look forward to seeing it when you've finished... :thumbup:

regards Jeff

Thanks JamesF :)

Jeff: Yep, I was planning on only about an inch of sand. Bought 50kg pool filter sand today and will start washing it this week.

Now a question regarding filtration... :confused:

Currently the tank is a 5 footer and has an Eheim 2017 (floss only) , An Aqua One Aquis 2400 (Biological only) and U/G Filtration. I have purchased a fx5 as well to go with the new tank. I also have an old tunze powerhead that does about 2500l/h and was planning to run it with a sponge for mechanical filtration only.

Questions:

1. Have I made the right decision with a fx5? :dntknw: I have (since paying for it) heard that some people are having problems with the filter.... dont know specifics but theaquariumshop.com.au have deleted it from their line.

2. What should I load into the fx5? Should I just load it according to directions which would involve regular maintenance and regular opening and handling of the filter, or should I just run it as a bio with a spounge on the intake allowing less opening and closing of the filter and hopefully no problems arising in this regard?

3. Should I keep the Eheim runnind as a mechanical filter or is this a waste.

My biological media are mainly Matrix, Ceramic Rings, Bioballs and Eheim Efisubstrat and are all in the Aquis 2400 at the moment.

Thanks

Brian :)

Archived