Frontosas and caves and rocks etc

seanus

Howdy all,

I have what i think to be 3 males and 1 female frontosa in a 6ft tank. The female has spawned only once before but only kept the eggs in her mouth for a week - Then they disappeared. three of the fronts are over 3 years old (possibly 4-5) and 12-15cm in length.

My question is this - the last spawn was when there was a full moon - anyone think this is relevant?

and the males spend ALL of their time in caves and a large (sewer - clean tho :) ) pipe I have in the tank, which I thought they would do better with. I have very little agression in this tank.

Now, someone from the cichlid forum suggested that i take all the rocks and pipes from my tank and let the fronts "go for it". I am hesitant to do this as i am at work for most of the day and have heard stories of fronts killing each other in very short bursts of aggression. What do you think?

Also, I have heard that most breeders of frontosas keep them in bare bottom tanks.

Water - very hard, 27oC, pH 8.2

Any comments or suggestions please.

Cheers

Sean

Ok mate - ditch 2 of your males...Just keep your best looking one with the best colour and stripes then go and buy yourself some nice females to add a different bloodline to your stock...

So you should have 1 male and 3 or more females...

I have not heard of many front breeders that dont use gravel....

90% use sand or PFS (pool filter sand)...

Keep the pipes and caves in there to provide protection for your females from the male....

I dont think the full moon thing is of a big relevance however it could play a minor role in inducing the fish to spawn...

I also would recommend that you only have your fronts in the tank - no other fish as they interupt the fronts and prevent them from spawning..

I would not listen to any advice the person from cichlid forum gave you as taking all caves out of the tank and letting the fronts "Go for it" is one of the most stupidest thing ive heard... :roll

Ps: Its normal for your cyphos to hide and not move. You could take a picture of them and pretend it was a video... :lol3:

PPS: Just thought of something, have you vented your frontosas? If not there is a good chance you have at least one other female

Thanks for the reply. I will leave everything as is and be patient. It certainly pays to ask advice from a few sources before trying anything radical. I have some mollies and 3 clown loaches in the tank also and will move them to another tank.

Cheers

Sean

Mollies and clown loaches wont make much of a difference in that tank. Its mainly other cichlids that itterrupt...

However best to get rid of the mollies as the fronts will evenually grow big enough to eat them...

Do you have any pictures of the frontosas?

yes we need pics I'd love to see your fronts.but one thing i doubt is that they are that old i think they would be around the 22cm mark and up mine are at the most 2years old and the biggest is about 20cm the only one that could be that old would be the female because they dont get as big as the males anyway id like to see your pics and definatly vent them and ditch the two males and buy 3-4 females just my opinion .I hope she holds for mate.

cheers Lee

I used to keep 2 males and 6 female frontosa in a 6*2 tank and they used to spawn all the time

make sure that you have enough caves for each fish to hide in so when they chase each other they can get away.

Also keep up regular water changes along with a mixed diet and you should have more luck.

with the caves try and keep pvc pipes or terracotta pots for you frontys to hide in.

Archived