Havnt had much luck

Guest Polarrr-

Guest Polarrr-

Well

i have a 4x2x2 and havnt had much luck with what ive kept in there while most of the choices i went with seemed to live fine together

theres always been just 1 fish that destroyed this harmony buy basically killing anything it could

this is happened on more then 1 occasion some of you may remember

IPB Image

which had its fair share of kills i relocated him to a mates 5ft tank with at the time alot larger cichlids and its doing great its basically doubled in size since putting him in afew months ago

at this time i had

1 jack dempsey

IPB Image

1 albino convict

IPB Image

1 of this dont know what it is

IPB Image

1 of this dont know what it is

IPB Image

1 rainbow shark

IPB Image

1 x this dont know its name britz or something

IPB Image

1 pleco

IPB Image

1 green terror bad pic

IPB Image

and acouple younger oscars

i was down at pet city and picked up what i was led to believe a fairly non agressive fish

the chick was more worried about the fish i had in my tank hurting this one then vice versa

i picked up 2 of these she put them in the same bag *slap*

on the trip home it had killed the 2nd one in the bag ( i got a replacment fish free of charge cause of her mistake ) this is the picture of the fish

IPB Image

IPB Image

and i also got this other fish dont have a picture atm it perminatly hides behind my latex background

basically within the space of a week it had killed

my convict jack dempsey my oscars

the 2 unknown fish the rainbow shark

all i have left

is the pleco

the green terror ( battle scars are very evident)

the britz one

and the one that hides behind the background

this is the look of my tank

IPB Image

Basically what im asking

i need help

either restock with fish to go with these fish

or restock the tank from scratch

with a good range of fish

any ideas

I had the same problem a few years ago - I set up same species only tanks now. This has some benefits in getting to know how these fish behave (possible in the wild). Other thing is that aggression sometimes comes from defending a territory - so if you have less (or no) hiding places, caves, etc., this may help. Good luck with your tank

Sheesh bad luck, I encountered this a little while back with a pair of blue acara's beating up all of my other cichlids in the tank. They got relocated to their own tank and its been pretty harmonious ever since! GL! I'm not sure what that blue/black fish is, but i've seen it a few times and from my understanding, there 'suppose' to be non-aggressive. Maybe you got a bad buM male!

I would suggest that you start again (minus the pleco he should be fine) unless you are really attached to the fish. You probably should pick just one bio type african or american not a mixture of both and do you research on a type of fish that like to check things diet and aggression levels.

I have seen mixed cichlid types (American and African) work in 6x2x2's but if one fish is getting a beating it is moved into a separate mixed tank that is more passive and vis versa. The tanks are also heavily stocked (and subsequently filtered) to reduce the chance of territory battles.

I have gone through what you are going through and it hurts. The people on this site have helped me trying to get my mixture of fish just right. Unfortunately this has led to my MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) so I can keep all the bio types :lol4: .

Anyway your tank looks like a great home you just need to get to fish to place nicely and you will be right

cheers

rosco

Guest Polarrr-
The Melanochromis genus is one of the most aggressive mbuna groups and this fact should be taken into account when stocking these species in your tank. Their aggression is slightly higher to conspecifics than it is to other species as well, despite just being very aggressive in general. Many of the more common members of this genus have striking female/juvenile coloration that makes them attractive to hobbyists. Too often though they are placed in inadequately sized tanks, in which they become a terror when they start to mature and in turn leads to the Melanochromis genus being given a poor reputation. M. johannii and M. interruptus are two of the less aggressive species

if it infact is that spieces which it looks like your correct dyclops

no wonder everything is dead

o yeah it killed a red devil aswell

one of the other fish it killed was

Melanochromis. auratus Female

Can't help with much, but thought I'd try IDing a few of the unknowns....

looks like a mutant blue acara or GT with a stuffed dorsal fin

IPB Image

Need a better/brighter shot but it looks like a juvinile synspilum, if it's smaller than the other one maybe it'll colour change soon?

IPB Image

This one is definately a synspilum

IPB Image

What's the one behind the background look like?

so from that what you've got left is american apart from that blue stripey killer, yeah? or is it gone?

is the pleco

the green terror ( battle scars are very evident)

the britz one (synspilum)

and the one that hides behind the background (what's this?)

Definitely dont mix Africans and Americans especially Melanochromis, they'll happily take on anything thats not bigger and/or more aggressive than them. I have a 6' with just Malawis and I have still had aggression issues with M. maingano. If you want Africans youll need lots of small hiding places for females or smaller fish to hide from the "boss" fish. Havent had many Americans so I cant help there.

Liz

In the top picture i have two of those in my tank a mate of mine originally gave me six of them and i have given some to my friends. The one in my tank is about 8 cm long and a gorgeous fish, not aggressive and just swims around. The guy that gave them to me told me that they were called Orange top Zebras but i have researched and researched and cannot find what kind of fish it is.

This is what my one look like i hope it doesnt become a killer like yours..

IPB Image

:thumbup:

Hoddz

That first unknown one is a brasiliensis methinks.

i agree,

I had thought that but the mouth shape is wrong. that said, with the gump head & dorsal fin why not hey?

I think the other unknown/Dark cichlid is a chocolate cichlid. H temporalis.?

I don't think so, by the body shape I think its something Vieja family prior colour change. I suspect synspilum as he has another one & it may have come from the same tank.

In the top picture i have two of those in my tank a mate of mine originally gave me six of them and i have given some to my friends. The one in my tank is about 8 cm long and a gorgeous fish, not aggressive and just swims around. The guy that gave them to me told me that they were called Orange top Zebras but i have researched and researched and cannot find what kind of fish it is.

This is what my one look like i hope it doesnt become a killer like yours..

:thumbup:

Hoddz

yours looks like a Maylandia greshakei to me from that pic

hey mate, sorry to hear about your situation.

besides our forum, heres some other links that may be helpful in choosing a

biotope and particular fish for your tank.

Africans:

cichlid recipe: http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/cover.htm

a whole range of cichlids:

Cichlid forum: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/

that is a nice size tank you have there,

i'm sure that you can turn the situation around with a little research.

good luck,

ryan.

Guest Polarrr-

Well i attempted to get some shots of behind the background its like pitch black behind there so very hard to see the fish let alone try to focus on it so it was point shoot adjust point shoot adjust

these are the best atm i could come up with

IPB Image

IPB Image

and these are the only fish left in my tank the viewable area

IPB Image

this is possibly the synspilum he seems to get alot darker when hes running away

IPB Image

IPB Image

and possibly lighting changes

My green terror damage to tail and fins

IPB Image

and a new shot of killer Melanochromis interruptus

IPB Image

Probably one of the most common mistake is - mixing fish from different biotopes..

I reckon go for a afrcian cichlid tank..

Go grab yourself 6 electric yellows, 6 hongi and one more type of malawi cichlid...you can add or subtract numbers if you like...

Stay away from any of the Melanochromis species as they are too aggressive and you need to be able to move fish out of the tank if the need arises...

Dont get and lombardi's as they are very aggressive...

HTH

he only has one african & it's the one doing the damage - much cheaper to git rid of it & go American from here but really, it's upto him to choose which way.

Do you want a few big majestic fish that will interact with you (Americans) or do you want a swarm of colour? (Malawis)

the one behind the background looks similar body shape wise to the synspilum & seems to have a red anal fin - could it be a blackbelt? does it have a single vertical black bar 1/2 way along it's body? at that size/age it won't be a solid bar.

Guest Polarrr-

he only has one african & it's the one doing the damage - much cheaper to git rid of it & go American from here but really, it's upto him to choose which way.

Do you want a few big majestic fish that will interact with you (Americans) or do you want a swarm of colour? (Malawis)

the one behind the background looks similar body shape wise to the synspilum & seems to have a red anal fin - could it be a blackbelt? does it have a single vertical black bar 1/2 way along it's body? at that size/age it won't be a solid bar.

No vertical bar

its body is always rather dark

with orange/red on the fin/fins

been awhile since he's come out of the darkness to remember

might take the background out

and perhaps when i move during the relocation i silicon the background in place so they cant get behind hmmmm ideas ?

Also i would not silicon the background on as water will go stagnant behind it and then will slowly leach out to kill your fish

if you change your water more than once in a blue moon it really isn't a problem hey ;)

almost everyone who has one silicones it in, those that don't generally wish they had & break down the tank at some stage to do it.

Have you actually moved the melanochromis out yet or is it still in there causing havoc? IMO I'd rather lose the one aggressor and keep the others, but each to their own.

Fish behind the latex looks like an Aulonocara or Copadichromis of some sort.

Guest Polarrr-

I pulled everything out of the tank so dont mind the water

there colours are very dull atm prob cause they've been disturbed

but i got afew better clearer shots of the one that was hiding

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

and another one of this one

IPB Image

he hasnt been removed yet

as whats left have seemed to survive since it went on the killing spree

i think i'll go an african display tank