Canister Filter Tap Leaking

Samma3l

Hi guys, I have a bit of a problem here.

I did a bit of filter maintainance over the weekend and I discovered a problem with one of my filter taps, as you can probably tell from the thread's title - its leaking. Where the leak is coming from (for those familiar with the Aqua One units) is the part of the connection where the tap joins the filter unit. It isnt leaking much, about a drop per second or two. I am at a loss for determining where this leak is coming from. I've pulled the tap off and I cant see any debris that would make a gap. I've gone as tight as I can and there is still a leak.

I'm going to pull it a part again today to have another look, but ive checked twice already and have no idea whats causing it. Is there an O-ring that I cant see or a rubber seal that I'm missing that isnt lining up properly?

I've pulled the tap off the unit before and have had no leaks, so why now? If I cant resolve it, I'll be buying another tap at the end of the week.

Any help you guys could provide would be great.

Cheers,

T.

is it leaking through a thread? (sorry, not familiar with that filter)

if it's through a thread try the old standby thread tape - if it's safe for human consuption plumbing it'll be fine for fish

thread tape has worked sofar. I found the leak in the seal between the connection so i taped the whole lot and it all seems sound. I'll monitor how it goes and if it fails I'll see if theres anything else I can do.

thanks for the top (and cheap) solution Ash

Hey samma i would pick up a set of spare taps they are only around $15 the set. Because when they go the end snaps off near the seal and it pretty hard to seal. This happened to me a couple of times now so i always have spares now.

Cheers shane

shaneo,

yeah I plan to do that at some stage - if experience has told me that the "she'll be right" attitude is not the best practice to live by in this sort of thing, however the thread tape has made the tap excersion (to the other side of town) something that can be left to the weekend instead of a mad rush in the afternoon to hopefully make it in the 5 mins before the lfs shuts.

When it all goes to the chute, I'll have the taps on hand to fix it without a panic.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem, all I had to do was take the tap out and replace the rubber "o" ring inside it problem solved, didn't have to buy a brand new tap, haven't had a problem since, its been over 2 years. Go back to where you bought it, or any LFS that sell the taps or that particular filter and get a spare o ring for it, probably for free.

Cheers

Archived