Electric Yellows - accidentally spat fry

Ash

Firstly, sorry for the dumb buM questions - this is my first spawn of a mouth brooder

How likely is the mum to pick up a bub that fell out when I netted her & dropped her into a fry saver?

The bub is a fair bit larger than an american free swimmer (about twice the size of my current texas fry that are a week old) but it has an egg sack almost as large as it's body attached & has a lot of trouble moving - it can swim but it looks drunk doing so if that makes sense? How likely is it to survive from this point on it's own & is mum likely to kill it or anything?

Cheers

Ash

you could make an egg tumbler wich will keep the fry a float and they will not be lying on there sides

i am sure if you search egg tumbler you will find some information on how to make one.

Hi Ash

That isn't one of those yellows you got off me spawning already, is it :)

In my experience, she is unlikely to pick it up again, but stranger things have been known to happen. Electric yellow fry are fairly robust & it should have a good chance of making it. I often strip mine at that sort of size and even smaller and don't usually lose any when I put them in a strainer with a gentle bubble flow underneath.

Cheers, Doug

the mum is one of my good local stock - no idea on the father though as the obvious males from your lot have shot right up in size to match my original ones.

bub is still swimming around no worries - might make one of those tumbler thingos shortly then - I wasn't wanting to strip though so it seems a waste for one baby who's sort of mobile of his own accord

edit: after a while he was laying on his side so I went the tumbler & seeing as I went that far I stripped her - 12 fry doesn't seem too bad for a first mouthful, I can't believe they fit in there!

my lonely baby was left to his own devices unfortunately, even after a few hours. hence the tumbler

Sicj whats wrong with them lying on their sides? I got the same problem with Ash and i just placed mine in a fry saver with an airstone in the middle.

I guess it could affect their development - no water flow over the side that's down & all their weight on one semi-developed side.

Archived