some of my geos...

fishguts

G'day Jeff

I have seen these guys and the photos posted do not show them off at all. They have consideraly more blue especially in the face and look absolutely fantastic.

I was hoping some pups would be coming along shortly and now (hopefully) I will get some of these magniicent fish.

Well done Jeff :thumb

g'day matthew,

i'm so proud, i had about 300 eggs and i built one of your fry tanks(as we were talking about ) but i lost a heap of them to fungus.....so next time they go off, ill leave them with the parents... ive still got about" 30 eggs with tails" so we'll see how we go.....as you know ive got 5 males and 4 females ...so there should be more coming soon....there are at least 2 more couples pairing up so who knows.....

to answer a few questions. the argryostictus are in a 5x2x2 and the altifrons are in a 8x2x2...and yes yellow , well spotted, it is a crenicichla lepidota, hes a real favourite of mine....hes an absolute piscovore and he waits for his whitebait treats every morning.......i love him but he killed his female, who he spawned with mabye 6 times.....i couldn't get the fry to feed on anything other than them selves....i tried everything from micro worms to frozen baby brine shrimp, but every day they would halve in numbers....from 1000 to 500 to 250 to 125 it was really frustrating. Hes a real feature fish and he doesnt bother anyone else....as long as they aren't the same shape as him.

yes you have to make your tank soley a geo tank, coz you cant have africans in with geos coz they are notorious fin biters and your geos will never look thier best if they are constantly placed under stress.....as a matter of fact im about to get rid of several brasiliensis as they are way too boistrious for the geos.....you need to have you tanks at about 6.6ph and at least 26c.....if you want to enduce them to spawn...you should add cold water , so that you allow the temperature to drop by about 6 degrees below their usual temp. and allow the temp to climb back over the course of about a day so that you simulate the influx of rain....as these are amazon fishes , they are totally depended on the seasonal rains that control their lives......if you can simulate this seasonal rain you will go a long way to spawning these most magnificent fish ......

Great news...........well done Jeff...............congrats mate. :clap:clap

I too have seen these fish and agree with Mathew, the photos don't do them justice.

Looks like some of the pups will be heading to Menai, in the future (hint,hint) :lol3:

Keep us posted on their progress Jeff and thanks for sharing.

hey waz, hows the pearsii going....that was a good score!.....oh dont worry about the heckili, he is no more...the next day i opened the shed to find him swimming vertical...and the next day he wasnt swimming at all.....unless you call "floating upside down," swimming :lol5: sorry about that :dntknw:

Nice looking fish Jeff.

I too am toying with the idea of turning my display tank inside the house to a Geo tank.

Thanks for the pics

Josh

Jeff

Bummer about the heckeli, mate. But I still have 6 in my colony - not far off breeding size now too. :roll

Yep was a good snare them pearsii eh. They are in with the heckeli at the moment and are getting on fine.

Have also added Rio pindare to my stocks now. :8 and my Tapajos orange-heads have just spawned. :thumb

Josh

Don't toy with it mate...go for it you will never regret it. The Geo's are a beautiful display fish, good community and plant tolerant (to a degree).

C'mon Jeff, lets convert these tropheus nutters over to Geos :lol3::lol3:

Reakon Dave (moliroman) might set up a display tank of Geo's.

yeah warren.....they dont know what they are missing......no need for lumps of black tube for bashed females to hide in.....you can feed em blood worms and they grow 3 times the size! buy tyhe way those altifrons that i have, have turned out to be Rio Tocantins....thats one in the avator......

G'day Guys,

As you know I love my Tropheus, but I do agree that Geos are magnificent looking animals :) . Gotta love that really majestic looking body shape and long flowing fins. Possilbly these fish are the next must have Cichlid, maybe they already are ;) .

Great pics by the way, enjoyed the look.

Jamie.

Jamie you could be right!....that would explain the outrageous price tags that these fish currently demand.....still they are worth it......get into em!

Archived