Q :- for Frontosa keepers

Cicolid

G'day all..

These are my 2 C.frontosa, about 10cm It looks to me as if I have 1m & 1F..

What chance do I have of them breeding ?/

Would I stand a better chance if I put some more females in with them ?, if so how many ?

Cheers

Col

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Some nice looking frontosas there mate!

Before i answer your question, how big is your tank? What other fish do you have in it?

I am leaning towards them being both males....

If they are from the same batch of fry id say you got a 90% chance that there both males as males do grow quite alot quicker then gurls...for breeding, i reccommend a minimum tank size of a 5x2x2 (the larger the better)...

If you have 2 males now, try to buy at least 5 females.....having a 1:1 ratio does not work well with frontosas.... :)

Hi, nice fronties you got there. Look well fed and nice finage.

Fish #2 looks to be a male. Have you tried venting them? At 10cm some individuals are easy and some are very hard to sex. Judging by eyes to body ratio they look to be young fish. It'll take another 2-3 years before they'll start breeding.

Fronts are best kept in a group. If you want to breed you'll need 2-3 more females for a small colony.

I'd refrain breeding from these as both have joined bars (the last 2 bars on the flank). This is because the general consensus is imperfect bar fronts are deemed to be not good specimens. However, it doesn't seem to apply to any other species. At the end of the day, it'd be hard for you to off load the fry with imperfect bars. And most breeders would cull them.

HTH,

DD

Hilly i have to disagree with you - i recentely had a colony of burudi frontosas that ranged from 10-15cm and my male had a hump just like the fish in the 2nd picture perhaps a tad bigger...

If these fish are from the same source i say both males, if theyre from different sources pic # 1 is a females most likely and pic # 2 is a male... :B

And i agree with Phenomena, it will be hard to sell fry that have split bars....

they could be both female if you vent them then you might have a fair idea of what they are with burundi's you can never telll by how big the hump is at that age correct me if i'm wrong but they look to be about 10-12cm here's a link if you want to know how to vent these guys just click on this

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/frontosa_sexing.php

Hey buddy can you give me a full tank shot i like the way your tank is set up what have you got in with these guys and don't be afraid to ask questions even if you think there stupid

Archived