Virgin Freight

parkesg

Hi all,

I shipped with Virgin today and they are firmig up on the way fish are packed. They now want all fish bags to be "goose tied", that is, the tops doubled over, then the individual bags within a larger plastic bag, like a garbage bag or similar, and also some absorbent material on the bottom of the box. Newspaper is not considered absorbment material, something like a old tea towel. Also make sure the box is authorised for seafood transport.

They are also now checking ALL boxes, opening them and checking if the above has been followed, whether you hold an account or not.

The joys of fish trasport.

HTH

Grant

Thanks Grant.

I have been using another company. I dont see why if the bag leaks etc, how it would affect anything if its in a styrophome box. Its not a cardboard box!

I understand making sure that the bags are bagged properly etc.. maybe they have had complaints on the receiving end or people not bagging fish properly. Thorough checking I definitly would encourage!

They've always done that here from Newcastle.

I don't mind it personally, as it's pretty much how I ship anyway. I always put chux wipes on the bottom of the box, both to absorb small leaks and to lessen the likelyhood of having something small (sand, glass chip etc) rub a hole in a bag during transport.

I usually also line the box with a large plastic garbage bag and then fold it over the top too, just to keep everything nicely packed in together.

Sounds like they are just generalising procedure throughout the company.

They are still waaaay better than the other mobs :lol2:

I have experience on the other side of the coin I worked on an aircraft that was on the Australia Japan route that carried a lot of seafood .To cut along story short the extra corrosion that was found in the areas that were exposed to moisture trebelled and the extent of damage was signifigantly more in turn making the time in the hanger much longer = Biggggg dollars. The freight cost wouldn't have this factored in . All I can suggest is do as they wish in terms off packaging so the cost of aircraft maintenance isn't past on to the consumer .

yep found that out last time i shipped with virgin, very particular, AAE is much better in terms of being realistic i find,

double bagged triple bands, absorbant stuff in bottom of styro box, box taped , sealed water proofed, normal, '''

virgin are a bit over the top. with the double goose necking, and extra layers etc

Archived