algae eaters

koiboi

hi,

I have a couple of small planted tanks (stnd 2 footers)..I'm starting to get hair alage on the plants...whats a good algee eater that doesnt get too big?

Thushy

I'v heaed Gold Barbs or Rosy Barbs enjoy hair algae.

Hi

While flying fox may grow large they can be an excellent companion in a well planted aquarium. I just completed a 4x2x2 heavily planted tank that house 5 pairs of bosemani rainbows. The 4 flying fox that were introduced before the rainbows could not be happier with their new friends.

While the sae's do grow large, this is generally over time. They are the best natural defence against hair algea and i have never built a planted tank without them as a first addition. The trick is to try and keep them from getting used to commercial food and ensuring they stick to algea. This is very borderline however.

I usualy stick to rainbow specific food and try to use flake form. This way the fish will sprint to the surface and hopefully minimal food will reach the substrate. If the algea eaters become used to being able to eat commercial food that you add they will tend to avoid eating algea.

Ottocinclus, sae's and glass shrimp are what make up my algea crews. However in my experience only sae's will combat hair type algae well enough to rid of it.

As you have small tanks the only option is to perfect your water quality and the balance in your tanks. Managing your water is the key to a balanced plant tank and keeping ferts to a minimum will help also. Lighting periods, co2 and temp will all dictate the algea growth in your tank.

I should point out that mollies are a great algae eater. Many good aquariums use them in plant tanks to keep the plants clean. I can assure you that many private growers also fill their plant tanks with mollies to combat algae.

Hope ive helped somewhat.

Brad

thanks guys..really appreciate the help. I'll keep a very close eye on the water parameters and try and get a couple of SAEs or perhaps a couple of mollies...I have always wanted black mollies so perhaps now is the best time....thanks again

hi,

I have a couple of small planted tanks (stnd 2 footers)..I'm starting to get hair alage on the plants...whats a good algee eater that doesnt get too big?

Thushy

I'v heaed Gold Barbs or Rosy Barbs enjoy hair algae.

thanks....I'll do a bit of research on these...

Archived