Chelated Iron

MARAUDER

Was wondering the best way to administer chelated iron? I've gathered it's about 2.8g per 0.1ppm using 13% Chelated iron.

So just dissolve it and add it in or what?

Will be chasing up a test kit tomorrow.

Hi mate

I went through a phase of making up my own ferts. Good in theory especially considering the cost side but boy, is it worth it?

I came to the conclusion after dosing 4 large tanks and making it all up and making sure i had the right amount in the right amount of water etc that i through it all in the bin.

Buy a 250ml bottle of seachem flourish iron, in a heavily planted 4x2x2 tank id be lucky to use half a cap a week. You cant overdose and there is zero stress involved. And to be honest, it does exactly what its supposed to.

Cheers mate

Hey,

Making your ferts isnt real hard, i would go Here and check out the calculations for mixing the ferts. If u cant follow those calculations through, maybe mixing ferts isnt for u.... I always mixed mine, but im a chemist :thumb

The chemistry involved in planted tanks is what makes them fun.

Thanks for the link on ferts.

Calculations and chem's not a prob. I'm no chemist [Telecommunications Engineer 5thyr uni actually] but I demolished yr12 chem [1st in class :lol1:] so I enjoy mucking about working things out and getting things right.

I've actually skipped ahead from my original mesage and been adding some serious amount of iron with good results to the green-ness of my new growth. Been dosing to the tune of about 1.5ppm to have it drop off to 0.1-0.2ppm the next day. I don't particually want to maintain this regieme but will untill the plants get back on deck.

Oh, and my main fert till now has been Wardley's Sprout [any comments on the stuff?]

But yeah, found a place that I can buy chemicals quite cheap and so considring uni fees and above all petrol, looks like I'll be making ferts.

Maybee im just dumb :(

Keep in mind with the Tomm Barr methods and the like, they are designed generally with 50% weekly water changes in mind. This is so you can reset the tank weekly and keep it semi balanced. Any person with good fish knowledge would advise against a water change of this size.

I tend to shy away from it only with community aquariums in mind. A stable tank full of happy fish will not enjoy a 50% weekly water change.

I agree however it can work on a heavy plant tank with limited fish load. Where happiness and health of the fish are not the main priority. See how you go, after a few months of doing it on large tanks weekly i got sick of the maintenance rather than anything.

Cheers

Hi Marauder where are you getting 13% Chelated iron ?Should this maintain the red colour in folage?Also is there anywhere that has laterite in bulk rather than dupla balls?

thanks

Neil

. Been dosing to the tune of about 1.5ppm to have it drop off to 0.1-0.2ppm the next day.

It is generally regarded in the planted tank world that Iron test Kits aren’t worth worrying bout, and give very inaccurate results, basically the general method is to dose according what the plants tell u, not the test kit.

found a place that I can buy chemicals quite cheap

What type of chemicals exactly??? u mean a more scientific source than a local garden store for things like chelated iron??

Should this maintain the red colour in foliage?

Pretty sure research from Tom Barr indicates red colour isn’t really to do all that much with iron concentrations, but more with nitrate deficiency's.

A thorough read on The Planted Tank should reveal a lot of information on all this.

Brad.

Another thing, Do u know for sure its iron causing the Pale leaf colour?? is it on old or new leaves? what levels are all your other macro's and micro's, NO3 etc?

Brad

MARAUDER will not be replying to this thread for at least 3 days, more likely 4. The lucky dudE is having a free ski trip! :lol3:

I R BACK! :lol4: Whilst the food, fuel, fields and hire were not free, the lodging was. Stayed at Cabramurra, nice place that. Although no skiing was really done by me as 30 mins into lessons I made a tatical descision not to continue as the torquing of the skis on my knee was telling me I'll have to visit Mr Reconstruction by the end of it all.

Anyhow, back to it...

Another thing, Do u know for sure its iron causing the Pale leaf colour?? is it on old or new leaves? what levels are all your other macro's and micro's, NO3 etc?

It's definately Iron as all new growth is a nice healthy green. Still expanding my test kit base but Nitrates are at around 10ppm and don't deviate much from there.

What type of chemicals exactly??? u mean a more scientific source than a local garden store for things like chelated iron??

Garden chemicals. It's a hydroponics/gardening supply. I still got to look for a reasonable lab supplier round my place for some equipment just for my random mucking about with crap at home.

Gotta source some DTPA tho. Only using EDTA atm, does job but prefer DTPA which is suited to higher pH levels. Gotta contact that hydro store again and get them to order me some.

All I'm using the test kit for is to give me an idea of the sort of iron uptake my plants have. That way I can dose a small amount day by day.

I should also note that my tank is not primarily a planted tank. However, I still do want them to be reasonably healthy. :)

Also, whilst I'm conversing with a chemist, what are your thoughts on 0.5-1M sulphuric acid for pH adjustment? I don't really need to drop my pH values since going Malawi and if necessary I just use pH Down. Just wondering.

Archived