Eye "Bubble" in Benthochromis Tricoti

Mpimbwe Pete

I have two colonies of Tricoti. In one tank a 20cm female has what appears to be a bubble of air just inside its eye. She is swimming reasonbly well ,staying out of the way of a dozen large Mobas. :confused::confused:

The bubble occupies almost the entire eye .

As these are not common specimens and I am very fond of them I want to do what I can but I can't find any information -my local fish retailers don't know and I would appreciate any advice.

This poor little fish started her life in lake tanganyika and I want to prolong her stay as long as humanly possible. I tried a Broad Spectrum medication but all I can say is it didn't get worse.

I too have wildcaught Tri's and have noticed that they gulp air from the surface every now and then, tricking me into thinking that I have holding females - looked this up and found that it was common behaviour <_<.

When you say bubble of air is it like a blister (a burn?)?

Cheers

hi Pete

i find a lot of f/fins can suffer this problem, particually if they are starting to age [3/4yrs] and the water paremeters are not up to scratch.

i do a couple of small water changes [25%] 4 days apart then commence a 7 day treatment with Melefix as per the instructions. i normaly do bi weekly water changes on the bigger tanks, but if i miss a tank, [in favour of another]and leave it 'till the following cycle, this problem can show up .

HTH; C

yep as mentioned i have seen many tangs, sandsifters feather fins etc with this type of problem it is usually a scar caused by fighting or hitting rocks etc, i find it is a permanant injury but they seem to adjust pretty well to it. not really a treatment to fix it a scar is a scar.

iv had this happen to an electra before, its eye looked like it was going to pop out.it was just after a water change.i got told its from the water having to much gas compressed/disolved in it as water is pumped out from a deep part in the dam. when it is then in the tank under alot less pressure the gas expands and some how it builds up behind the eye.

with my electra it went away after about a week and it was fine.

HTH james

It is more like a concave bubble around the perimeter of the eye . Protruding about 5 or 6 mm like a bubble eye goldfish. As of writing it has actually receded a little.

Pop eye is a well known syndrome in aquarium fish, both marine and fresh..

If you Google pop eye (not the cartoon character) youll get lots of hits...

Heres one:

http://www.fishjunkies.com/Diseases/popeye.php

Mike

hi Mike

a lot of good info there.

but i don't think that we're dealing with 'pop eye'

it just seems to be an enlarged lens. with minor treatment, it does reduce in size, though it will enlarge again if the water quality slips too far.

Archived