DIY Creating rockwork from Hebel

Hoddz

Hey all,

I didnt know where to put this so i thought her might be a good place.

I started making a 6ft backgroung for my tank out of 50mm foam and got somewhat into it then thought about the idea of how nice this may look but also how practical it may be for my tank considering its just a standard 6fter. So i have come up with the idea of using Hebel blocks to consruct a Rock setup that is both practical and can be actually used by the fish in my tank. Due to the hebel being able to be sawn and drilled with great ease and the overall weight of it i think it will be perfect for this idea. I have taken pictures of this since i first started and when i finish i will post it so that others can give their views and opinions on this idea. Will keep yas posted..

:thumbup:

I wrote this earlier

I have heard of people using Hebel aerated concrete in their tanks, in particular marine enthusiasts. The advantage with the aerated concrete is that it is easy to shape and sculpt into a variety of forms. The use of saws and rasps allows the production of an artificial rock/background with smooth edges.

The problem that is experienced is that because it is a cement product it alters the pH of your water. Hebel has a pH of 7.0-10.0, which may pose less of a problem in a Rift setup.

Aerated concrete is created by combining aluminium oxide with the cement. The aluminium oxide generates bubbles which form in the concrete giving it its light feel. IMO the final artificial rock or background would have to be soaked in water for an extended period of time so that any chemicals, in particular, aluminium oxide leaches out before it could be used in a tank.

When I discussed the matter with the manufacturers their advice was to not to use it.

I have read reports of it being used in saltwater tanks but not until the Hebel blocks had been weighed down and put out in the water (salt) for 6 - 12 months.

I gave up on the idea and used sandstone block which I blasted with a high pressure cleaner.

Someone may have used it with success and like you I would be keen to hear about it.

Gerard

Yeh my father in law is the manager for hebel so i heve been through all the technical specs with them. My tank is an african tank so it needs a high PH as it is. As with the alluminum it has been activated well before the final product has gone off i have a bit that is new and an old bit sitting in two different tubs and been testing the water on them for quite some time now the newer peice has a tendency to be higher ph but not excessive but still want to wait however the older peice is been in the bucket for three weeks now and ph test shows 8.2 which is fine for my fish.

Hey all,

I didnt know where to put this so i thought her might be a good place.

I started making a 6ft backgroung for my tank out of 50mm foam and got somewhat into it then thought about the idea of how nice this may look but also how practical it may be for my tank considering its just a standard 6fter. So i have come up with the idea of using Hebel blocks to consruct a Rock setup that is both practical and can be actually used by the fish in my tank. Due to the hebel being able to be sawn and drilled with great ease and the overall weight of it i think it will be perfect for this idea. I have taken pictures of this since i first started and when i finish i will post it so that others can give their views and opinions on this idea. Will keep yas posted..

Looking forward to seeing the end result, looks like you are doing i thoroughly testing the reactions and researching it so will be good to hear about and see your experiences.

Not that i know anything about concrete or concrete products in general but you regularly see fish in cement ponds and am pretty sure i have seen cement in some public aqauriums so youd assume you will be pretty safe (as i said not that id really know)

keep us updated

hey hoddz i am soo coming over in a few days to check how its going!!and if it works can you pretty please make me one?? :hug:

hope it goes well!(any problems with the fish and the background give me a yell and you can bring them over! :thumbup:

jamie :lol1:

Day 1

IPB Image

And the first sample peice looking good so far and even lighter then first expected.

IPB Image

Oh yeah this has nothing to do with this but this is my new mate Buddy. My baby Cockatiel.

IPB Image

Yeh no worries Jamie i have heaps of it here and a endless supply of it also. :thumb

wow that looks wicked!! :thumbup:

is there anyway you can put hole in it without cracking it??

i defenately want one!

jamie :)

Edit:does every pet in your house get named buddy??1st it was the gecko now its the bird! :lol3::lol1: and it looks like you scared buddy there

I get it all from my father in law. The bouyancy is not a problem it sinks in my tank. sometimes takes a few minutes. Yer Jc can drill through it. its soft but still as hard as concrete dont expect u to understand that but its the only way i can decribe it.

Yer and the birds name is Buddy like the Gecko but kids pick those names and there the ones they like so what can i do. Nah he not scared just only small lil baby.

Hoddz :thumb

what kind of tools do you need to work it? how hard is it to sculpt etc?

This kind of stuff looks really good...

wow, this stuff is pretty cheap too, first quote I got was $8.80 for a block 600x400x100mm from a building supply co.

For tools i use just my hand saw,drills, chisels and hole drills. I love this stuff :lol3:

Hoddz

For tools i use just my hand saw,drills, chisels and hole drills. I love this stuff :lol3:

Hoddz

Heya,

These are some that i have created they are sitting in the tub at the moment and i will put them in on the weekend. Let me know what you think just ideas at the moment. The Overall weight dry is 13.6 kg.

IPB Image

The bourbon can for sizing.. :clap

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Also this is the part of the tank that is going to recieve operation Hebel :lol3:

IPB Image

I think the one in the second pic. on the left under the horizontal slab has potential....the rest are not so realistic. Keen to see how they go chemistry wise in a tank.

Andrea :)

yeah mate i have about 4 blocks left just going to play with these ones for now. let me know when your coming up.... Yeah i thought they look too fake also but just tests at the moment will let yas all know how it goes...

If you add too much weight it breaks quite easily and yes i just cut it with a normal hand saw. Also Bruce i have some here for you. I dont want money for them what would i do with that ???? :dntknw::lol3: If you have some fry for offer that will be fine...

I bought this up exactly one year ago today. We had soaked a shaped piece, which bore a remarkable resemblance to Ayers Rock, for several months. With water changes the pH still remained at around 10 and I have no idea if there were any issues with chemical alterations to the water.

I am still very interested to know how it goes but would suggest a little caution along the way.

P.S. A sturdy stanley knife, drill, chisel, rasp and a dudE did the job. Easy stuff to work with.

haha thats funny.... ba$tard gets changed to dudE?

Heya all finally put one peice in my tank to see how the Fish like it and how the levels go in there. I have still lots of peices left i wish to add However but i just want to wait and see how this one goes first..

Been in there for 24hrs now and the ph hasnt changed yet however will monitor over the next few weeks.

The Red forest Jewels and the Electric yellows love it but they fight over who is going to live there..

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

:shock::lol3:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all things with hebel are going great ph is good and however some peices still will float so i have added rocks on top of it to weigh it down doesnt need a great deal of pressure to hold it down just enough. so well this speaks for itself in term of weight propeties in the tank. I am currently working on a 1metre long x 60 mm thick x 320mm high peice of hebel wall panel and some other ideas its turning out great guns. just looking at some sealers and nice sands to coat it with as for i think too much of the one colour will be a bit drab. But got some i deas with turning out some nice rocks for the tank and my next peice i will try is going to be 1800 l x 200 w x 150mm high. could fill the tank up with this stuff and the weight will not increase too dramatically...

Archived