What cichlids grow big?

Tam

Im not really a cichlid person...

So just want you guys to point out some of the larger growing cichlids (tankbusters) available in Oz... Suggest which one are more difficult to get a hold of too...

I might be after a male with nice colouring and can/will grow a nice nuchal hump... so which one?

besides:

oscars

jaguar

trimacs

fenustratums

rivalatus

synspilum

red devils

what else is available?

Tam

umbriferums are a good one tam.they dont get the nuchal hump but do grow big(24 inches),have great colour and great personality.thier hard to get your hands on though i currently have two males and am looking for a female but no luck as yet.heres a pic of my male hes only about five to six inches

IPB Image

IPB Image

what do you think about those synspilum?

synsphilums are nice thier probably my favourite out of those that grow humps fenestratums are nice too but thier quality on the east coast is poor.you can still get some really nice synsphilums though i only recently parted with my one.their usually farily community tolerant.it also depends on your plans with it if your going to keep it alone id go devil as they grow great humps and have alot of character although they dont make great tankmates(in the respect that they develop more character if kept alone)

You might want to cross off jags and oscars... no hump there and either rivulatus or green terror as there the same fish

NIce looking boy youve got there yella, how have you found his growth rate this far? Im currently growing out some dovii ( might wanna consider these Tam) and am thinking of somthing else as well .

how have you found his growth rate this far

not that fast actually burgoid.hes only about 6-7 inches ive had him since he was about 2 inches.he eats like a horse and is in a large tank on a large system and while its been steady it hasnt been phenomenal.how have you found the growth rate with your dovii.

righto guys ... thanks for your suggestions...

--- just edited the GT/Rivalatus bit---

the dovii dont look nice IMO.

the cichlasoma synspilum - do they have a common name?

its comes down to two, the RDevil (cheap & common) and the Syns.

Any other you can think of?

:o dovii look awsome how could you say such a thing :p. Mate ive found the dovii to grow pretty crazy ay, ive had them just under a month now when I got them they where literally fry now the biggest it a solid 2.5''

burgoid: they look alright just my opinon mate :) maybe they just look too mean for me.

but come to think of it, what about a texas cichlid... i think they look alright - common too.

how big do these guys grow? some sites have stated 10' and some 12' but has anyone own that grew to that size?

Tam

how big do these guys grow? some sites have stated 10' and some 12' but has anyone own that grew to that size?

Tam

10' = 10 foot :lol2:

In regards to the sizes, maybe they were based on aquarium raised ones and wild ones. Some fish grow different sizes in different environments.

Bruce

Don't forget other Viejas, bifasciatus (bifas, red-headed) and maculicauda (black belt) are two obvious ones.

Midas, a close relative of red devils.

Flowerhorns too, if your into that sort of thing.

Archived