joining two tanks

Alex

I have two tanks that I want to join together to create a single system. The tanks are about 2 feet apart, and the top of the slightly taller tank is only about 3" taller. I have my own ideas but am always keen to hear how others would do things...

lets have it....

I've seen ppl connect two tanks using an upside down "U" shape PVC pipe. You can fix the height diff by simply lowering the taller tank's water level to that of the shorter one.

to enhance this effect, place the intake of a canister filter in one tank and the outtake in the other tank.

or u can just use a sump.

I thought everything could be done with cable ties, pipe cleaners and blue tack. But maybe I watched too much McGyver :)

No no no, it would always fall apart without the paperclip.

I thought everything could be done with cable ties, pipe cleaners and blue tack. But maybe I watched too much McGyver :)

No no no, it would always fall apart without the paperclip.

Ducksta! I knew I was doing something wrong but I couldn't work out what... :lol4:

But if someone wanted to joint tanks I would just use some massive bulk heads and piping...

But do about 4 joining pipes and aim some powerheads through... That would be cool... :lol4:

double sided tape :yes:

no,no,no,guys, ya got it all wrong. it's gotta be

double sided "DUCK" [T] tape

fix anything, from clothing to jet air craft

back to the Q

i've seen that "Dr Worm" water bridge in action. it works well, but algae can make it look ugly

cheers; C

The bridge looks OK, but my only concern would be that not that much water is actually flowing through the bridge from one tank to the other.

Easier to use two identical pumps, and just make minor adjustments if one pump slightly outperformes the other. Put both pumps on the same board so if one shorts out they both two, but you always have the risk of one breaking and one that keeps going....

You could try and get the powerheads with suction caps and keep them near the top of the tank. If one carks it, then the other will simply have no water to pump, although this limits how high you can have the water levels.

[edit]Argh, one tank is higher than the other! Stupid siphon effect

• 2 weeks later...

The bridge looks OK, but my only concern would be that not that much water is actually flowing through the bridge from one tank to the other.

Easier to use two identical pumps, and just make minor adjustments if one pump slightly outperformes the other. Put both pumps on the same board so if one shorts out they both two, but you always have the risk of one breaking and one that keeps going....

Hi,

If u are using a top filter as shown in the picture, the water flowing from one tank (A) to the other tank (B) is basically = the pump flow. Like in this case, the powerhead is a ~800L/hr, so 800L/hr water will flow from tank A to Tank B as they will always maintain have the same water level.

Not sure if it make sense :B

2 pumps is not a good move IMO.

Cheers

The tanks are an 8x3 and a 8x2. So their is alot of water to be messing around with. At the moment i have two small pumps pumping water from tank to tank and it is working fine for now.

Was thinking of doing a water bridge but am cautious of the water in the bridge becoming stagnant and not moving very much water from tank to tank.

If you built the bridge, and then moved both pumps to tank A, pumping to tank B, then the bridge would move exactly the same amount of water as the 2 pumps. Basic.

Of course if the bridge blocked, you'd have an empty tank A and about 800 litres of soggy carpetty goodness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The tanks are an 8x3 and a 8x2. So their is alot of water to be messing around with. At the moment i have two small pumps pumping water from tank to tank and it is working fine for now.

Was thinking of doing a water bridge but am cautious of the water in the bridge becoming stagnant and not moving very much water from tank to tank.

Alex,

if you are happy to have a slight head of water between tanks then the water bridge will work fine. I have connected up to 15 tanks in a row with no problem. You can also use two bridges together if your worried one might fail. Only recommendation is you use a prefilter if you have any catfish or noctournal fish as they will move in and greatly reduce the flow rate. I have used bridges 150mm wide but find 40mm PVC is the easiest and cheapest. You will be able to move a huge amount of water through provided you dont mind having slightly different water levels.

Its also pretty easy to drill and plumb the two tanks properly if your REALLY worried. You should be able to find someone to drill on site so you dont even need to empty the tanks right down.

I have also joined several 8x2x and 6x2x2 tanks end on. Just remove both end plates and glue together with a small overlapping plate for security. Provided you dont mind the vertical seam, you can get some really nice long tanks that way :)

G'day Fishdance

Do you happen to have any pics of some of these joined tanks? :lol4:

Mathew,

Crap photo enclosed. There is a seam visible in the middle (these are two 6x2x2 tanks). They are only 60 cm high with 10mm thick float glass sides which is plenty to glue onto. Initially I just glued the 10mm sides end to end but I kept worrying about the damage a leak would cause inside the house so after 2weeks of anxious waiting, I decided a small 20mm strip on the inside was better security. The tanks in my fish room (where a total leak is no real damage) I left without any problems. The base is as straight and level as I could make. If you think about it, corner tanks are no different. I have seen plenty with shockingly poor beveled edges so there is not much except lots of glue holding those. I have one tank 18 foot long (3 - 6x2x2`s joined end on ) and seen a few with tanks go around corners too.

IPB Image

Archived