What sub straight is best?

viv_919

Hi guys,

I've been reading the past posts, and information on planted tanks online.

But I'm so confused, blink.gif

Some recommend sand, and flourish as a combination for sub straight, while others talk about gravel.

I have a 3ft, 18'' by 15'' tank. I've eventually got to start after many unforseen delays.

Been reading as much as I could on the matter.

I already have a 2ft with java fern going crazy. I am currently using liquid ferts.

Viv smile.gif

Viv,

I like a good gravel for my substrate. In terms of fertilisers it depends on the pllat. Plants that have a significant root system I like some sort of substrate fertiliser (e.g. for swords, crypts, anubias, vallis, various "grasses") for others I believe they gt more nutruents from the water columb (tpyical bunched plants).

Most good fertiliser systems work on chelated iron which is put in long term, and other short term chemicals used daily. (Aquasonic have daily gro and the other one I cna;t remember. Both chemicals). You can buy Yates Chelated Iron at the nursery and use it in conjunction with an iron test kit if you like to do things cheaper.

Steve

Hi guys,

I've been reading the past posts, and information on planted tanks online.

But I'm so confused,  blink.gif

Some recommend sand, and flourish as a combination for sub straight, while others talk about gravel.

I have a 3ft, 18'' by 15'' tank.  I've eventually got to start after many unforseen delays.

Been reading as much as I could on the matter.

I already have a 2ft with java fern going crazy.  I am currently using liquid ferts. 

Viv  smile.gif

Thanks Steve, :)

I've decided to go for part river sand and gravel, to reduce sand from compacting to much.

I'll also get some of the red sea, ( like florite but differnet brand) as a nutrient.

Thanks, I'll check out the yates stuff as well :thumb

Viv

Let u know how it goes

I'll also get some of the red sea, ( like florite but differnet brand) as a nutrient.

Umm, u talking bout Red Sea Florabase??? I would probably do a bit of a search in google on that one, from what i have read it isnt very good stuff. Turns to mud which is a pain when uprooting etc.

Hopefully u can read This Page without having to log in, a discussion on florabase.

Red sea also make a product called Flora Root. It's basically an small container of Laterite, with some "active bacteria". Quite an expensive way to get laterite, but readily available if you dont have any other source.

Archived