Sth American Display Tank

Fozz

Hey all

Well I m hoping to set up 2 6x2x2 tanks 1 will be a sth american display tank and am looking what to stock it with i would like to stock it with fish that look nice and colurful with a lot of personality and life so far I have a few must have;

1x Red Devil

Convicts

2x Pleco's

I am also leaning towards perhaps 2 green severums (gold suam) your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also I am just curious on the availability of Frontosa's with imperfections such as broken bars etc. not for breeding but just to be kept as pets in the other tank in my room they help me sleep.

Thnx Fozz

hey Fozz, the red devil will limit the other tankmates you can have.

plus they will almost certainly dig and mess things up for the display.

don't get me wrong i love them...i used to keep a breeding pair before but they virtually had the tank to themselves.

one of my friends used to keep a breeding pair of green terrors in a tank full of crimson tides without many problems.

the difference in my oppinion is that the Green terrors would be a more colourful addition to the tank with only half the agro (though not in all cases).

silver dollars or scats would look a treat too.

love the convicts and the plecos

let us know how you go.

ryan

just keep your eyes open at the lfs, and try em all.....you'll never have peace while you've got the RD.....try salvinis, jack dempseys, big male brasiliensis.even some of the crenicicla sp. you've gotta kind of find a fish to fill the differant levels of the tank...you know, the surface, mid water and bottom dwellers....a good way to decide is to see the shape of the mouth....fish with mouths that point up (eg. crenicichla)are usually preditors of smaller fishes and fish who have mouths that point down(geophagus) are usually bottom feeders.....i have a 8x2x2 full of geos (approx 30, ranging from about 8cm to 25cm) and a big fat crenicichla lepadota and they look great and they never fight...

silver dollars or scats would look a treat too.

Silver dollars, yes.

Scats, NO.

Scats are brackish, and need salt in their water, moreso when they get older to the point where they are near marine.

Not to mention they can be quite delicate little fish.

scat are actually pretty tough, i have had them in with pretty large Jags when i was new to the hobby.

also i don't remember adding any extra salts to the water and the water wasn't brackish.

I got them at about 5cm and they grew to about the size of a CD...i eventually sold them but have regretted it ever since.

careful with the jack dempseys they can be about as agro as their namesake,

mine was taking on my dovii when it was just over half their size.

Ryan.

Yeah no worries, get the Firemouth with the RD if you like expensive feeders LOL.gif

Why not try Oscars?? Red Festae? Synspillum Carpinte? Black Belts? Pearl Horseface? Salvini? Just a few to check out mate.

Also definetely don't get silver dollars, they won't last, and with scats they will be fine in that tank, they are tough as nails.

If your red devil is young why not get more red devils. Try and get a variation in RD colorations. Look for a pink one and a red one and an orange one and so on.

Tilapia Buttificoferi (Spellig) with also live with them. Although they are West African. Cramming them in seems to take out a lot of the aggression and buy them all together. Its not good to add them one at a time, get 10 of them plonk them in together and you will have a higher success rate.

Id like to see a pick when your done.

you probably wont have too many problems if you keep all males....all the same size ...and keep the tank un cluttered....dont give them too many "chioce" spots to fight over and you should be right....try em all.....you wont know what works till you try em. thumb.gif

Blue acaras are a good choice too, they are mild mannered, but will defend itself when provoked. They seem to have a fair bit of personality too. Nice colouration also, particularly when breeding or angry!

I've got a 4x2 at the moment with a 22cm black belt, 18cm RD (both males too btw), two pairs of convicts & 3 left over spotted silver dollars - it's working well thus far. Lots of rockwork for the Convicts.

So in theory Fozz your original tank idea should be fine with plenty of hidey holes for the Convicts so long as you only have a single larger fish - forget severums for the tank, they'll be shredded for sure.

If the rockwork is set up well enough you could have firemouths too I would think - so long as they have a territory away from the convicts where the devil can't nail them.

It really depends on the fish in question - my older 25+cm RD kills pretty much anything that shares a tank with him & instantly flares up at any foriegn object/hand/whatever in the tank - but his 18cm son has never showed any signs of excessive agro, might be a matter of time though :dntknw:

If you think a RD will kill everything, steer clear of festae & jags.

black belts, synspilums & carpintes are good choices too - all similar in agro stakes - I have a breeding pair each of synspilums & carpinte sharing my 4x2 display tank in my lounge along with 4 hoplo cats.

So in essance - if you want lots of larger fish - forget red devils, jags & festae - unless you just put all of them together in a bare tank & forget the plecos & smaller stuff like convicts

ive just watched a DVD that i bought from holland and its called Nicaragua_ cichlids of the crater.....its unreal......so , based on that....you should keep your red devils and you should add heaps of rock work. then you should buy yourself a pair of convicts( negrofasiatum) then you should buy yourself 3 pairs of neetrophus, then you should buy yourself a pair of nigrogensis (parrot cichlids)......then get yourself a school of young DOVII....and hey presto you've got a nicaraguan fish scape......the parrots will try and out breed the neets and so will the convicts.....the dovii will feed on the neets .andthe parrots will help the dovii to raise their young so that they dont have to fight with the neets for breeding caves...it will be totally self sufficiant and you wont even have to feed em :lol5::lol5:\

if i had a spare 8x2x2 id do exactly that.....good luck withit all!

regards Jeff

ive just watched a DVD that i bought from holland and its called Nicaragua_ cichlids of the crater.....its unreal......so , based on that....you should keep your red devils and you should add heaps of rock work. then you should buy yourself a pair of convicts( negrofasiatum) then you should buy yourself 3 pairs of neetrophus, then you should buy yourself a pair of nigrogensis (parrot cichlids)......then get yourself a school of young DOVII....and hey presto you've got a nicaraguan fish scape......the parrots will try and out breed the neets and so will the convicts.....the dovii will feed on the neets .andthe parrots will help the dovii to raise their young so that they dont have to fight with the neets for breeding caves...it will be totally self sufficiant and you wont even have to feed em :lol5::lol5:\

if i had a spare 8x2x2 id do exactly that.....good luck withit all!

regards Jeff

an 8x2x2 is a tad small I'd think - I plan to eventually do something similar in a 8 or 10x4x3, though even then I was going to skip the dovii or only get one

yep, I plan to get it. I've got the link bookmarked - just need to get around to ordering it.

Archived