Geophagus Diet and Substrate.

adjac

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what food do the geophagus species owners and especially breeders feed there fish to keep them in tip top condition. Looking for brand names for dry foods. Also what live and frozen foods. And does anybody make there own from scratch. Also what substrate do you guys use? Anyone know of a dark fine substrate that is suitable?

Adjac.

g'day mate, iv'e got heaps of em and i feed em mixture of "orca" pellets(various sizes), tetra bits colour pellets and vegie pellets all together in a 2 litre fruit juice bottle....i give em fish roe taken from table fish (snapper, kingfish,mackeral) from the boat ramp....blood worms...microwaved zuccinni... boiled beans and carrots and whitebait fillets with the spine removed...coz the bones get caught in they're mouths and they develope red blisters around they're lips (ive lost 4 large hekelli before i reallised why)...some times i give em black fish weed but youve gotta be careful where you get it from.......

as for substrate,, i use a fine river sand or you can buy a bag of "sydney sand" from your local nursery...its used for striking seedlings....you only need about an inch or less ,as if you have too much it stops them from turning it over...also many geos cover their eggs with it, and hide them in it, so if its too large they cant do that ....also make sure you have plenty of woodwork as they really love a Ph of about 6.6...

good luck and get into "em

regards Jeff

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what food do the geophagus species owners and especially breeders feed there fish to keep them in tip top condition. Looking for brand names for dry foods. Also what live and frozen foods. And does anybody make there own from scratch. Also what substrate do you guys use? Anyone know of a dark fine substrate that is suitable?

Adjac.

Hi Adjac I have kept and bred geophagus altifrons and I love these guys.

I recommend a minimum 5x2x2 with course river sand as they love to sift and it help with gill cleaning and digestion good foods are ones that sink like the orca small is best as it keeps them occupided another good food I like is Aqua-life microvit. Decorate the tank with driftwood, plants(unless you have Heckelii) other tank mates include rams, bolivianbutterfly, apistogrammas,bristlenose,uaru ect.

I agree with all that's been said. Fine gravel or sand works well. Food wise, a variety of quality pelleted foods (eg: orca, hikari, NLS, HBH etc) will work just fine.

Thanks for the replies everyone. clap.gif

Jeff,

i was wondering if you could explain in a little more detail how you prepare your zuchinni, beans and carrot. Do you microwave the whole zuchinni or chop it up first? microwave it till it is really soft of still quite firm. Also does the same apply to the beans and carrot.

At the moment I have 2 large geophagus surinamensis, 1 large satanoperca jurapari and 4 juvenile geophagus tapajos "orange head". I have been wanting to give them some fresh veges but wasnt quite sure what to feed or how to prepare it. The have had frozen defrosted peas in the past (w/out the skin). Should i cook these first?

Does anyone feed earthworms or blackworms?

Is anyone adding blackwater to their tanks or use peat?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks all.

thumbup.gif

Adjac

yeah, how are ya?

chop the zuccinni length ways first, then chop them cross ways so that you dice it up fairly small, then you cook them in the microwave for about 8 minutes (in water). let it cool, then feed it to them, by squashing them up , seeds and all....they love lt. they may take a while to get used to it at first, but pursavere(sorry about the spelling)its really good for em,. when you have boiled vegies for tea, just make sure that they are soft enough, because, any thing that is a little to hard, they will just ignore it. Just be careful if you feed your fish corn, because if you have small fish, like baby bristlenose, they can get the skin caught over their heads , kind of like a clear "beanie". and they can't get it off and thay may sufficate.....

good luck with it

Regards Jeff

yeah i had to do thatn with my bracybrancus....the parents died with eggs on a log...due to my stupidity

Archived