High Volume Air Pump

Rol&Jas

Hi,

Currently I use internal power filters in my cichlid tanks and also provide air to my tanks from a Hailea ACO - 9906 air pump. I am going to keep predominantly catfishes and Tanganyikan egglayers now and want to use only air driven sponge filters in those tanks. My current air pump is not strong enough, it's capacity is 120L/min.

Can you recommend stronger air pumps which are also very silent?

Thank you

Roland

Actually if i can add a related question to your post, i also need an air pump too run a 4 ft air curtain, i need a air pump that will have sufficient output/pressure to run it easily, and i also want to run 2 - 3 air filters at same time.

What output would i need to look at as a minimum?

Just thought my query was related to this post, if anyone can help with both posts.

Roland

That size air pump should be able to run 90-100 airstones depending on depth, how many are you running?

I run my whole room on a 60LPM air pump and I have 40 stones running + all my Floaties have air in them.

Steve

I dont know how to work out how much air is needed to run a air curtain but I would be aiming for something between 10 and 15 LPM. Maybe someone who has a air curtain that long could answer it better.

Josh

Thanks Josh.

In my old house I think the pump worked better than how it is working now. Somehow it doesn't seem to pump a strong amount of air now. The depth for my bigger tanks are 45-50cm and some of the air stones hardly release any bubbles.

Cheers

Roland

Sounds like it is not operating at high enough pressure. The quoted volume can sometimes be misleading as it needs a high enough pressure to push the air out at the depth below water.

Thanks Josh.

In my old house I think the pump worked better than how it is working now. Somehow it doesn't seem to pump a strong amount of air now. The depth for my bigger tanks are 45-50cm and some of the air stones hardly release any bubbles.

Cheers

Roland

Thanks Josh.

Cheers

Roland

It sounds like the pump needs new diaphrams Roland.

I think also that the diaphrams may need replacing Roland.

Have you tried cleaning the airstones out - easiest way is connect them to a bicycle pump and blast out the crap. yes.gif

If you are still using the old blue ones Roland ditch them and get some of the plastic reusable ones. The stones might just be blocked and that is restricting air flow

Josh

If you are still using the old blue ones Roland ditch them and get some of the plastic reusable ones. The stones might just be blocked and that is restricting air flow

Josh

Yep my plastic ones need cleaning every year or so. The amount of air they put out after cleaning always surprises me blush.gif

Also look for leaks Roland. How do you get the air from your pump to all the tanks? I use black poly pipe and it's not very efficient at all. I'd get a lot more from my pump if I went for a proper sealed pipe.

All related I guess; the best airstone I have come accross is one sold by Aquasonic called "Sweetwater". They come with a "two year cleanability warrenty", and a bit of a price tag. From 4cm to 30cm. They are cleaned off with an acid bath - to produce "like new performance". I've had some going in my tanks for .....5 years with no need to clean.

Craig

Archived