Flurocent globes

m0oks

Hey guys

I saw 2 brands of flurocent lights in Bunnings as i'm thinking of buying some 4fts globes.One is a Phillips and the other is an asian brand.Any members try these before?Are they worth it? Please give me your experience with them.

Cheers!! thumb.gif

They would probably be Tri-phosphor globes and are good for tanks depending on what your needs are. I use them for my tanks but I keep no plants.

josh

Mine have lasted fine. They have been running for years (it seems likehat long). I originally got them through bunnings and at the time they were a quarter the price of Aquarium tubes at my LFS. I have found out they are cheaper at lighting stores

NEC Tri-phosphor globes are the ones alright.

Not bad, alot better than generic due to the colour rating etc but I prefer the -Glo range more especially for plants. I do use them as they are good, just not the best. thumb.gif

Better off goint to Turks. www.jrt.com.au I get all my tubes there.

My recommenbdations:

Sylvania Aquastar 10000K T8/36W [about $15-$16] http://www.sla.net.au/product.php?p=343

Osram SKYWHITE 8000K. L 36W/880. EAN: 4008321002976, use this number for ordering otherwise it's a pain, trust me [$7.50 for trade I think]

I use that combo on my tank. Just aquastar's is too pink/purple and just daylights or skywhites is too green for my taste. I say 1 aquastar and one 6500K or 8000K.

As a minimum, get a daylight triphosphor. usu 6000K - 6500K

Ive been using the Phillips aquarelle for a year or so, havent had any problems with them, they last as long as the other brands and my plants are healthy and growing as well as ever. Only problem is I cant find them for my 3' tanks sad.gif

Liz

I bought a 6000k tri phosphor Compton today from turks and it seem to be really bright.Does the brand really matter or is it by the k's? Also it has a tinge of green.I think it's just not me doing a water change this week.Plus its a grow out tank.

How about the wattage of the tube for planted tank? Or am I missing something?

So this Sylvania Aquastar 10000K T8/36W would fit and work to its potential on any reflector?

How about the wattage of the tube for planted tank? Or am I missing something?

So this Sylvania Aquastar 10000K T8/36W would fit and work to its potential on any reflector?

-More wattage = more light output. Planted tanks I think like 1.5-3W/US Gallon

-Will do but depends on the reflectivity of the reflector. I use alfoil as a reflector and my elodea goes beserk =]

-Aquastar is good for plants as it has high red and blue emissions and very little -green. What plants use most. Hence the pinky purply tinge. Also why I mix it with a SKYWHITE.

I bought a 6000k tri phosphor Compton today from turks and it seem to be really bright.Does the brand really matter or is it by the k's? Also it has a tinge of green.I think it's just not me doing a water change this week.Plus its a grow out tank.

-Some brands differ with colour temp and also range. As in 6500k osram daylight vs 6000k Sylvania Daylight.

-Triphosphors are quite bright and have a 30% higher efficiency than regular tubes

-Daylights do have a high green component [eyes are more sensitive to green], not as high as cool white [which is why daylights hale a lower lumen rating, less light that we can register], and will show green water moreso, hilights plants too.

-Kelvins determine output colour with reference to black body radiation. Achieved in fluro tubes by mixing different RGB levels.

Archived