Clown loaches in community tank

Rol&Jas

Hi,

I was thinking of putting some clown loaches in our community tank, but I read and heard that they are prone to white spots. I also heard that they less likely to get white spots in cichlid water.

Can anyone shed light to this who keeps or kept clown loaches with African cichlids?

Thanks

Roland

kept clown loaches before without any whitespot as well...

although i have bought clown loaches before with whitespot without knowing... wont buy from there again thats for sure...

i now keep smaller loaches with my yellow fry to get them to swim and eat more... the fry tank is now more active

kept clown loaches before without any whitespot as well...

although i have bought clown loaches before with whitespot without knowing... wont buy from there again thats for sure...

i now keep smaller loaches with my yellow fry to get them to swim and eat more... the fry tank is now more active

I bought clowns once and found they had whitespot when i got them home also. But I realised it was because they stress very easily when being transported, of course this lead to the whitespot, maybe thats what happened Hungsta.?

I have clown loaches in most of my tanks Rol&Jas and i think they are great because they keep the tank more active!

Thanks

yeah clown loaches are great in the cichlid tank...like toufic, i have also kept them with both americans and africans (different tanks and sizes of course).

one thing i did notice is that the loaches and other bottom feeders usually take the night shift (clean up crew) whilst the cichlids occupy the day shift. this does not mean that you wont see them doing their thing during the day as well.

as far as them being more succeptable to white spot goes...

I know you've probably heard it before but they are scaleless so they are more prone to infections etc. be careful with medications (read the labels) make sure they are large enough to handle themselves with other tankmates or the stress may increase their succeptability to...well everything.

they are a great fish and i love the way they 'sniff' around and carry on in the substrate...reminds me of a dog i had once.

R.I.P Mutley.

One thing I do with my fish is quartine them if i can. With clown loaches, I would definitly do that before adding to the main tank. They are sensitive and prone to white spot, so taking precautionary measures would help!

Archived