6foot stand

keleher

hey all im redoing my fish shed so i only have a few large tanks. for the stands i want 2 on each and im wondering if its possible to have the tanks 2meters-6foot long x 75cm wide x 50cm high with no middle leg, as it obstructs the view. so there will only be 1 leg at each end of the stand. what size metal would be required if it is possible? i was thinking 40-50mm x 70mm 2mm thick?

cheers james

So you mean only legs at the end of the stand? None at all in the middle? With two of tanks "2meters-6foot long x 75cm wide x 50cm high"? Sounds crazy, or I am not getting what you want to do.

Ben has done this with two 6x2x2 tanks. He used double lengths of rhs along the front for the added strength.

I'm sure he would post pics when he sees this. Maybe give him an email or PM wink2.gif

hey james,

He used double lengths of rhs along the front for the added strength.

this sounds like a great idea, are you building it yourself?Two smaller pieces of 40x40 rhs would be stronger then 1 piece of 40x80, Which I would tend to do over that sort of length. Staggered stitch welded 50mm on 100mm off, on both sides of the rhs. just cool it down straight away with a wet rag and air, before moving on to the next bit.

Like warm apple pie......

Matty

James I am in the middle of a stand problem. I had a triple 6 x 2 made and it bows, so i am getting another one done to replace it. The original is made from 40 x 40 (2mm) and the sag in the middle is 10mm dry.gif The welder is replacing it with 65 x 35 (2mm) and says that it won't bow. Hope he's right.

Andrea smile.gif

Below is a stand my hubby made to hold 3 6x18x18 tanks, we used 25 x 50 (2.5mm) but have noticed over the last 6 months it has bowed 2-3mm in the middle. We're in the process of making 2 more stands the same only we are using 50 x 75 (3mm) this time to be on the safe side.

How long was your stand set up before you noticed the bow Andrea?

user posted image

Shell smile.gif

KIDS here are some pics of my fish room, almost all stands ar 6 foot spans.

from inside house, left side closest rack, now has 2 lots of 2 3x2x18h tanks, it does bow slightly in the middle, with the two 300kg plus tanks on it.

user posted image

from outside house, left side the 6 footer here is a 6x18x18. on top is 5, roughly 2x15x15 tanks no bowing

user posted image

outside house right side, the closer stand now has another 6x2x2 on top aswell. the far stand with the middle leg is only 50x50 2 mm around the top and 40x40 2mm legs, was rebuilt after the previous owner made it with abow in the middle..end result that 6x2x2 has a new base!

user posted image

all 6 foot spans i make are done using 75X50, 3MM GAL all legs are now 50x50 3mm gal, all stands have adjustable feet to accomadate any unevenness in the floor, very good idea. with a full 6 foot tytank the stands dont bow as the tanks are self supporting to a point. all stands have 16mm painted mdf on them aswell for support and 20mm foam.

the method of construction will help heaps,

hope this helps

hey guys cheers for the ideas. im making it myself and i can get metal fairly cheap so coast aint to much of a problem. this is what ive come up with.anyone think it can work? tanks hold about 700L of water each

user posted image

image came up a bit small and cant seem to make it bigger.

red= 40x75 2mm

black= 40x40 2mm

cheers james

Archived