feeding altos

katanaone

i'm getting my hands on some Alto. comp's (Gold) around the 4-5cm mark pretty soon, and was wondering if anyone who has more experience with them can let me in on their meal and treat plans.

i plan to use a mix of good quality pellet and flake, supplemented with live and frozen foods as treats every now and then.

which foods are best?

what live foods do you use? how often?

also i have been told by a few people not to feed them foods like beef heart etc.

any thoughts?

ryan.

I used to feed mysis shrimp, brine shrimp and flake. Now everything is on Spectrum pellets, and my alto's cant get enough of them.... But I would give the beefheart and other bloody foods a miss. If you have to feed live, I would stick to brine shrimp you have hatched yourself. Blackworms are a very occasional treat. ALways threat of disease with live food.

HTH,

Jason

hi Ryan

NLS is all the go these days, one food suits all. i trust in the theory that it contains all the nessasary vitals, but i still believe in using a variety. brine shrimp flakes are a good stand-by and if you get a white worm culture and/or a daphnia culture, the alto's will thrive. white fish meat, crushed, is a good weekly treat.

but please don't feed them beef heart or any other foreign meat/by product.

hth, cheers;C

I personally stay away from all pellets with Altos, they will get a rhino horn from eating hard pellets on the odd occasion, better safe then sorry.

Stick with frozen foods and flake.

With pellets that are too big yes. The 1mm nls pellet will not cause any dramas with an alto that size.... Mine get growth formula till 2cm, then the 1mm pellet. Never any dramas. Even so, many rightly or wrongly attribute rhino to the pellet..... good to know about both sides really.....

HTH

Jason

Has anyone tested whether the growth formula actually works? Not saying that its mislabelled but it would be nice to see if someones gotten good results after using this growth formula ratehr than normal cichlid formula.

cheers; Richard

Has anyone tested whether the growth formula actually works? Not saying that its mislabelled but it would be nice to see if someones gotten good results after using this growth formula ratehr than normal cichlid formula.

cheers; Richard

Well I have had very good results with it, here's what my friend and fellow ACE member Dave had to say about Grow Formula:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=110975

Waruna smile.gif

Archived