L. caudopunctatus Breeding

roskam3001

Hi,

I have a pair of caudo's which have bred for the first time for me. The fry are about 3 weeks old but still incredibly small. The parents and fry have a 2x2x1 tank to themselves. Is there a risk of the parents eating the fry at this age and should I move the parents to another tank.

Thanks.

The parents will clean up the fry as soon as they are ready to breed again. Remove the parents as removing the fry is adifficult option. Feed the fry on microworms.

Hi,

I have a pair of caudo's which have bred for the first time for me.  The fry are about 3 weeks old but still incredibly small.  The parents and fry have a 2x2x1 tank to themselves.  Is there a risk of the parents eating the fry at this age and should I move the parents to another tank. 

Thanks.

Thanks for your replies. They certainly appear to be family orientated parents and I still haven't witnessed any obvious agression towards the fry. The parents have cleaned out the shell they bred in last time and have built up sand around it's opening, and as of last night, weren't bothering the fry which are still hanging around the shell. I have provided the fry with numerous hidey holes (small shells, holey rocks etc) which they don't seem to be using yet.

So if this pair breeds reasonably consistently does that mean i'm going to need three tanks to handle this properly? - 1 for the oldest generations of fry, 1 for the most recent generation of fry and 1 for the parents! due to the size of the fry, I don't think a fry saver would work - catching the little suckers would be a large pain in the rear.

Hey mate;

I don't think you'll be needing three tanks. These guys grow reasonably slow so im sure if this generation don't get eaten then they should be fine in the tank with the parents, by the tiem they grow to a catchable size there should probably be another batch or more so just net the odlest generation out, keep doing so making sure each lot you add to the fry tank aren't too small for the older generation to eat.

HTH

Richard

Archived